Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2pedals+one box=OD of doom?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fenderx55, Mar 8, 2006.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    This may be more of just an intellectual excersize than a real project, but I posted a while ago re: completely stripping down my signal chain to 3 pedals and being pretty happy with the effect.

As much as I like the dist. channel on my m-80, I miss my rediculous fuzzed-out monstrosity i got from my double muff set to double going into my ODB3. It was pretty awesome, it shook the walls and gave standard 90s rock lines some cool dimensions. BUT my issue was all those pedals eating up room on my board AND I ended up not really liking the way the double muff sounded without the bass from the Boss.

So here's my question: would it be possible to house the 2xMuff and the ODB3 in the same box, say, if i set the pots the way I wanted them, connecting the input/output to both pedals and having a pedal that was completely unalterable in tone besides maybe level? Anyone here of something liek this before? I guess what it would really be is a triple muff with even less tonal options.

-Word.
    Chris

PS, I'm going to circumvent the "just find a pedal that sounds like that conversation with the response I gave my guitarist:

if tim c can rewind his pickups, have dedicated clean/dirty amps with a wah pedal for each connected with a piece of ply-wood, a mystery od box, and be a douchebag about it, i think i can do this.

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    sounds like you might be interested in the Pigtronix Disnortion pedal?

3. it might be possible, but i am not sure about the switching on and off, as they both have different type switches (i believe the boss is an electric switch, the other is not...i believe the specifics of this thought comes from a thread where a guy asked it if we possible to replace the switch on a boss delay pedal as to change it to momentary) if you really wanted those two pedals together, i'd take those two pedals, put them in a two channel loooper, and use that switch to switch them on and off...otherwise i'd listen to MF and look into other pedals...

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are a number of "boutique" two-channel distortion boxes. HBE Arizona, Klonbender, and Toadworks come to mind. But check with any of the small-time custom builders, many of them would be able/willing to build you something dual in a single box. Try Death By Audio (killerrocknroll.com).

5. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    i think a firm called calfornia custom pedals??? do rehousing jobs....maybe you could google them and see as i can't remember the site.

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens

I'm probably gonna go with the loooper idea... I didn't think it would be possible becaues of the switches, I was just putting it out there to see if anyone had any ideas. Like i said, it was mostly just an idea I had in class while spacing out.

7. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals

You would only really need a 1 channel Loooper (micro loooper works just as well). Because you want both pedals on whenever you hit the button, so just take the muff and odb and stick them in a loop together.

I do the same with a NS-2, POG, and Tube Factor Pedal for my distortion setup.

8. sorry, thats what i meant!

9. i thought of doing this with my Big Muff and Bassballs, creating Bigballs. Probably do able for me as theyre both russian, same switches and shape, but i just have them in a looper

10. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    thought I'd bump this thread.

I'm interested in putting my USA Bassballs and Digitech BSW into the same enclosure (probably the BB if it will fit). The other option I was thinking was putting them all into a Big Muff Pi, with the Muff. Three footswitches total.

It seems like either enclosure is big enough for either scenario (maybe have to side-mount some knobs, though I only ever use the suboctave (the last mode) setting on the BSW.

I suppose I could just get an effects loop, but I like using them in different combinations, and they are sort of far apart from eachother on my board - Sometimes I like the Bassballs and the octave together, but not the Muff, sometimes with the Muff. Is this too crazy or will it work?

11. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    same problem still applys with the different modes of switching. I do not know of anyone who rehouses digitech/boss pedals and puts them with true bypass switching capabilities.