Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2tek bridges

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by spyde223, Jul 7, 2001.

1. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    i just got finished reading the 10 most important bass anything of the decade on bass players website. they mentioned the 2tek bridge and gave it rave reviews. aynone ever heard, have one, or know where to get one of these. thanks

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Hmmm...cyber-tec's site seems to be down...
    http://www.cyber-tec.com/boogie/2tekinfo.html

They require a bit of surgery on your bass, but word
    is the sustain's insane. If you're after a "grand-piano"
    like tone, they say this'll get it. Hamer "Cruise" basses
    were equipped with them for a while.

There's a lot of threads here on 2Teks (I think :D ).
    Try a search (li'l globe thingie - top of the page).

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played one of those Hamers in a store whenever I've gone in with my Spector. That Hamer is the only one I've played that I actually liked, and I liked it alot!

I honestly don't know what this bass would have sounded like without the 2-Tek, but I'll tell you that it's an extremely high mass bridge that doesn't just screw onto your bass. You have to rout a hole so the bridge can be mounted, all the way through the body! So, you essentially would have through-the-body stringing, as well, which some people claim adds to the tone.

I think they're not more popular only because of the amount of cutting into the body required for such a bridge.

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I own a Hamer Cruise 2T, and the bridge is everything they claim it to be. It has nearly eternal sustain, and you can definitely hear that there is independent resonance of the strings. They are a major installation project - not a DIY job, and it's recommended that you find one of the handful of authorized installers to do this. One reason is that unless you have the templates (which can cost close to $200 by themselves), you really won't be able to rout the body correctly.
    While these bridges do wonders for the sound of the bass, I've been in BB discussions where some people feel that they rob some basses of their personality; that putting a 2Tek on ANY similar bass will make them all sound nearly alike. Without owning multiple basses, this is something that may be true, if you consider the scientific principle behind the bridge. If you effect independent resonance of the strings by means of the bridge, you may eliminate some of the harmonic overtones that create unique sounds between basses that would otherwise be there.

5. sunnking

sunnking

Jul 13, 2001
    i also own hamers with 2 teks. their great basses. i agree with the previous reply about the way the bridge works. since there is less "crosstalk" between the strings the response is very neutral. it does not seem to have as much indivual character as any other bass i have ever played. this is one thing i love about them, i dont have to fight with the basses limitations. that may not appeal to players at first but because it is neutral i can use it for anything and it sounds good. it is the most versiatile bass i have ever tried.

i do know ZON and WARWICK also used these bridges as well while they where in production.

6. sunnking

sunnking

Jul 13, 2001
    i also own hamers with 2 teks. their great basses. i agree with the previous reply about the way the bridge works. since there is less "crosstalk" between the strings the response is very neutral. it does not seem to have as much indivual character as any other bass i have ever played. this is one thing i love about them, i dont have to fight with the basses limitations. that may not appeal to players at first but because it is neutral i can use it for anything and it sounds good. it is the most versiatile bass i have ever tried.

i do know ZON and WARWICK also used these bridges as well while they where in production.

7. My friend put one in a MIM J. I got to play it quite a bit and I thought it was great. I've always wondered why they haven't really taken off. I guess maybe the weight (it's heavy) and the amount of wood that has to be removed. But to me these are small things compared to the benefits.

8. Carvin used to offer 2-tek bridges as an upgrade option on their basses. I had an LB75 made with the 2-tek and it did have a lot of sustain. When I was ordering the bass the guy at Carvin mentioned that it does at a couple pounds to the overall weight of the bass. I think a 2-tek was a great upgrade for some of the lower end basses. It certainly improves the sound and sustain. I think the main reason they didn't take off though is the fact that you need to chisel out a good portion of your bass in order to install them.