Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2u Stereo bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dood, Feb 3, 2006.

1. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I think I'm onto the impossible here, but can I have a few pointers for makes n' models?

EDIT:- I am after a STEREO 2u bass head with tons of output ooomph per channel.

So far I have found:-

Eden WT1205

Tech-Sound Systems 'Black Cat'

I think some of the old Trace Elliot models were stereo? correct me if i'm wrong?

At a push I could go to 3u, but I have my heart set on 2u!! ;o)

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

2. When you say, "I'm after preamp and power amps in 1 2u rack," do you mean an integrated head or are you talking about seperate units that are 2U each? If you're talking about a component setup, as I assume you are, please provide more info like how much power you might need, speakers, bass, style, etc. If you have any weight considerations, that will also dictate what you buy as well.

My component rig is a Demeter 201s tube pre into a Stewart 2.1 amp. Many bassists play that setup. The Stewart doesn't do 2 ohms but I don't have the need for it. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of dedicated amplifiers in 2U form that would do the job well so narrowing down your choices should be a high priority. I would stick to the models that have a good track record with folks here. Search the forums as this has been discussed in great length. As far as other models I can recommend, the Crest CA9 is highly regarded here on TB. The QSC 3204 is also held in high regard as well.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    WT-800B is good, too.

4. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Hey Vintage'

Thank you for your post, Yes, I could have been a bit more concise!
    I am running a component system at the moment @ 3u and wanted to see if I can shrink it any further.
    My system is running 750W RMS into 4Ohms a side. My cabs are 1200W RMS so, I have plenty of headroom and output can go waaaay up closer to that figure if it is available on a stereo head. It is unlikely I will bridge the amp or run down to 2 ohms, but stereo is the main requirement. So, one dedicated head,, 2u, with as much power as it can muster.
    As for weight.. well my beloved SVT2pro is up for sale.. it's mono.. it's heavy.. my component system at the mo, i'm guessing is probably about 20-25kilos so that should be what I am aiming for.

Thanks

5. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Munji' hello again, it's been a while! ok, I'll take a look at the 800B too, cheers!

6. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    any more ideas folks?

7. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Would mono pre but stereo power amp in one u be ok, or do you need stereo pre as well? Hevos 800D is due anytime soon now, 2x550W 2ohm, 2x400W 4ohm, 800w mono when bridged into 8ohm.

8. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Hi Antonius,

Mono pre is fine, as I will be running it into stereo FX then out to 2 cabs left/right.

I'll have a looky at the hevos! ;o)

Thank you!!

Anymore people?

9. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    [​IMG]

BLIMEY!! it's tiny!! ;o)

10. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    http://www.hevos.nl/img/800dback.jpg

AH! I see the problem! it doesn't look like there is a stereo return, I understand what you mean now Antonius.

hmm.. kinda counts that one out. POO.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

Aaaa-yuuup.

12. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Yes The eden and it's big brother seem to be coming up more than the other brands.

As soon as I have sold my SVT2-PRO :bassist: then I will have some folding stuff to part with for a new amp.

Keep the ideas coming..

13. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Eden WT-600 or 800 or 800B.

I have a 600; stereo effects return is one of the main reasons I got it. (I'm actually going back to mono & will be selling it soon).

It's a great head though. I think the 800 & 800B also have a stereo effects return.

14. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Cheers Klorence! I have had a look at the Eden website and the PDF on there was pretty helpful. Just gotta sell on my SVT then I can get my hands on trying some of these babies out!! lol.

15. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    My search still goes on to see what is on the market. I have been offered a WT 800 & an SVT 4 (altho that's 3u) I see that the new Trace gear has a 2u 500W aside head.. whether or not that is rack mountable, I'm not sure.

Carvin's red eye is under powered as is the Hartke 7000 series head.

I'm also checking out Tech Sound Systems from germany. They do a stereo head. There must be more on the market.

Any one else got any ideas? Can't believe so few people go stereo! - do they??

;o)

16. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    stereo is a blast - esp. w/chorus. if you rarely have front-of-house support, it's fun to have a stereo rig onstage for yourself.

the problem with the WT-600 I had was that although it does have a stereo effects loop, i don't think it was possible to send a stereo signal to the pa. so i'd end up using effects/settings/gain changes/etc. onstage, but none of it went to the front of the house.

i guess you can avoid this by using a pedalboard setup & 2 channels to the PA, but that negates the whole idea of running everything (i used racked effects) through the effects loop, which was my goal.

not sure about the Tech soundsystems stuff (or other products available in Europe) -- i'd like to see US distribution of tech!

17. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Klorence, yes funny you should mention about the FX thing on the Eden's. It was one thing I was seeing if I could work around. I thought buying a stereo DI box and running that after the fx and sending the link out back to the amp, DI out to the PA. They can be picked up pretty cheaply.

Any one else with 2u amp ideas? I can't believe Klorence is the only one who can be bothered to help out! ;)

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    genz benz gbe750...

19. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Thank you for your reply chef. I had a look at the Genz' website but it doesn't appear to be a stereo amp. Looks nice tho'.

20. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Correct, not stereo, but it will run 8, 4 and 2 ohms, so you could run two of about any cab you like. They make a 1200 watt version as well, but that's 3RU...