Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2V or not 2V? That is the question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassyBill, Jul 12, 2005.

For 2 pickup basses, which do you prefer?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2005.
  1. Volume / Volume

17 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. Master Volume / Pickup Blend

41 vote(s)
    58.6%
  3. Master Volume / Pickup Selector Switch

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    As suggested by some guys in the recent thread about knob configurations - a poll. I've kept it real simple as I just can't cover ALL the different options without going crazy. Hence no mention of tone controls or other EQ.

Please go right ahead and vote, but before you post you may want to check out this link to the previous thread.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189580

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Even though I espoused the vol/vol setup in the previous thread, here I voted volume with pickup selector (which I didn't recall being part of the initial question on the other thread). I am presuming that the selector would allow neck, both in series, both in parallel, and bridge only, ala my Skjold bass. The series/parallel option is what puts this choice above the vol/vol. If this were not an option, then I would vote vol/vol.

Tom.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Volume/Volume
    Blend knobs are not happening for me. I just don't get that full feeling. Selector swiches work well on Strats, never tried one on a bass yet.

4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    While I can agree with the tone impact of a blend knob, I want a master volume knob, so I went with volume/blend. It's the way all my basses have ever been and I'll live with the tone "Squishing" if that's what happens.

Just as a strange question, what would happen if you had a Pic1-Volume/Pic2-Volume/Master Volume? I know it's one more knob, but would that give the versatility of Vol/Vol with the convenience of the Master Volume, or just cause more problems?

5. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I voted Master Volume + Blend, because that's how all my basses are set up (stock) now, and because I find it faster to set up the blend that way, but here's another variation. Volume pedal on the floor, and no volume control on the bass at all, just blend and EQ. Because I have an Ernie Ball volume pedal, I never use the volume knob on the bass. I think that's how Tony Levin's custom 3 string Stingray was set up (minus the blend knob).

6. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I voted "master volume - pickup selector switch", but what I really prefer is the Rickenbacker 4001/4003 setup, which has a pickup selector switch and separate volume controls for each pickup. That way you can turn off the volume on one and flick the selector switch a la Eddie Van Halen! But in general I like being able to just whack the switch to change pickups instead of fiddle with knobs like on my Jazz...

weeoohweeoohweeooh...

7. I voted volume with pickup selector switch. I'm re-building a bass that someone gave to me and I wired it up with separate on/off switches for the neck and bridge pickups. There isn't a tone circuit right now, but I think it has pretty good versatility in the current config. I can also play near the bridge vs. the neck if I want a bit of a different sound.

I just like the idea of switches instead of pots.. pots just always seem to go bad/get noisy/etc after a while. I may add some kind of switch-operated tone circuit in the future...

8. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I voted VV, but I might change my mind about it after I rewire my bass per Tom's suggestion.

9. Volume/blend controls rules in my book.

Mike ;)

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    VV; for me a blend if more hassle then 2 Vs because I usually have one pickup [usually the neck] full on and turn the other up and down to change the sound.

I think the most important thing about any of these control variations is that whatever one lets you think less about the controls so you can focus on playing and not tweaking is the right choice.

11. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    +1!!!