2wice the fun!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kiwiboy, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Just wondering, has anyone thought of having multiple on-board preamps, say a separate one for each pickup??? Is this idea at all possible and would it really be worth the fuss? If it is, could you run both pickup outputs through a single jack?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Very possible, very obtrusive and annoying as hell. Would you really want to keep all that wiring straight? Routing for all the electronics and then dual batteries would kind of suck, too. It might not be bad knob wise if you do a les paul type setup with stacked bass/treb for each side. It would only require 4 control holes. Make that 6 minimum if you want a mid control. If it were very advantageous, someone would have done it long ago. Somebody like Almenbic would have done it, I suspect.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, not exactly multiple on-board preamps, as it was passive, but some old Warwicks which had twinJ's had volume and passive tone controls for each p-up
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    There are several basses that use separate EQs/tone controls for each pickup, most notably the Alembic Series I/II and Wal (active) and the Rick 4001/4003 (passive).

There is/was a dual-channel Bart preamp/EQ that Gibson used on the older Tobias Growler, and Zon used on the Sonus Studio. Basically, it had a separate bass and treble control and a midrange contour switch for each pickup. I don't think it's offered by Bart anymore, though.

The two "pickups" in the Growler were actually paired together in a single MM-sized case, but they still had individual EQs and a balance control. The Warwick Streamer M was similar, with two pickups in a dual-J case and separate bass/treble controls for each.

Having a separate EQ for each pickup can be useful, but it can also be a bit of a pain. I've owned Ricks, Wals, and the Sonus Studio, and there were definate advantages, but it works better if you're the kind of person who likes to change the overall tone by using the pickup blend knob...

5. Hmmmmm very interesting, thanks for the info guys :). Oh while talking about bart preamps, does anyone know a good preamp to pair with a bart RT or RU pickup(s) or for that matter does anyone know anything about these pups? I assume the RT is passive and is the model gary willis uses... :confused: