Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x GS112, or GS112 + Bag End S-15D?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Nov 15, 2002.

1. I need another small cab to go with my Aguilar GS112, since I sold Dave Grossman my Eden CXM-110. I've found a good deal on an S-15D, and based on TBers' love of the things, I might just pull the trigger, even though it will mean holding off on that fretless FBB. (FWIW, the deal fell through on the Epifani T112. :( )

Would an S-15D make a good partner to my GS112, or should I just stick with my original plan and pick up another GS112?

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Peter

I think you know my opinion from reading the prior posts about the S15D - they're too midrangey and not deep enough for my taste. It's like getting the fuller sound of a 15 but the freq response of a 10 in a small cabinet. There's bass there sure, but not REALLY. IMHO of course.

I play two GS112s and they rock. Two are definitely more than the sum of their parts.

You probably want to check out the sensitivity too - I think the BE will be a lot louder than the Ag? It's definately PERCEIVED as louder due to the mid-heavy sound. (not mid bump, low roll-off)

Plus its nice when things stack right. :)

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I also thought the Bag End S 15D's lacked a little in the low end department. I was using 2 of them stacked. Not wimpy sounding but I needed a little more rumble. I purchased a Bag End 15 (custom) from bass Nortwest and the problem was solved. it's a slightly larger 15 cab that's the same size as the 210 cab. Bass NW had two of them when I purchased mine. They still might have one left if you are interested.

4. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I have (2) Aggie 12s and (1) Bag End S15D. I have gigged with both setups and personally prefer the BagEnd with an Aggie on top. To me they compliment each other. The Aggie has more pure bottom end but is more scooped sounding than than the BE. The BE fills in those critical mids that make the bass stand out. Plus the BE is a hell of alot louder. I appreciate horsepower.

Also, they stack nicely because they're the same width.

davej

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey, that's cool! I had no idea, just assumed they wouldn't. Now if someone could figure out how to stack SKB racks onto speakers cabs i'd be set.

6. It's now a moot point--the Bag End got sold right before I made an offer, and so I decided to get another GS112. With the Fafner, I should have plenty of volume.

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    peter,
    i had my heart set on aguilar but i won't wait for it or pay their prices.
    i am now thinking of getting the ebs hd 650 in about 6 months or so. have you ever a/b'd this model to your fafner? how did it stand up to it if so. tone-wise, volume-wise etc. (the usuals)... thanks in advance!!!

8. Yep, I've A/Bed the 650 with the Fafner, and I much prefer the Fafner. The 650 is an extremely fiddly amp, with a whole lot of voicing options, and its basic tone is obnoxiously trebly. The Fafner is equally loud, more focused on (vastly more useful) upper mids than treble, and completely straightforward.

If you can find a used Fafner, snatch it up ASAP.

9. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    thanks for the reply!
    i was trying it at the palace and i noticed that it was very trebly. i figured it was the horn on too high along with my hard playing style...

how about that new 620 watt fafner???

10. I'm pretty sure it's the same power section, as it's rated at 440 watts into 4 ohms. Anyway, I've been told that the Fafner is no longer available in the US.

The 650 sounded pretty terrible through my GS410. I was surprised.

11. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    yeah, just checked it's the same one. not sure about the availability. how safe do you think running at 2 ohms (at moderate levels) would be?
    thanks again...

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice, pete,

nothing looks cooler than a badass Aguilar stack.