2x10 + 1x12=?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TMWPB, Jun 17, 2005.

1. TMWPB

Mar 1, 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Originally I was planning on getting a Bag End 15 but the online stores seemed to have stopped carrying them. So I was thinking about adding a 1x12 or another 2x10. Does anyone mix 2x10's and 1x12's?

The 2x10 I have is an SWR workingman's. I was eyeing the Aguilar GS112($400), Epifani 1x12($600), and the Bag End S12D($330). I mainly play five string, and there have been people who say the low B doesn't play to well through the BE 12. Which of these would you guys recommend?

If I was going to get a 15 now it would probably be the Eden NSP115($400).

2. CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    I have Avatar B210 and SB112 Cabs. It is a good speaker combination IMHO. I was using the B210 on top of a 115 combo amp, and I don't miss a thing. The 12 takes the low B just fine (what kind of juice would you throw at it? I use Eden WT330). I would think the Aggie and Epiphani 12's would sound even better. I certainly like carrying the 12 vs a 15, too.
  3. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I could give you an opinion in a week. I have the Aguilar GS112 and I just ordered an Avatar 210 Neo. The Aguilar is a good sounding cabinet and is pretty loud. At 8-ohms, I am getting about 250W out of my EBS HD350 and it has been able to handle every drummer I have come across. But a second cabinet is going to make things better. I feel the GS112 lacks some upper mids. I seem to boost them a lot with my EQ.

4. TMWPB

Mar 1, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks for the replies.

Right now I am using a QSC RMX 850 power amp. I would have it set up in parallel so that it is 200 watts at 8 ohms and 300 watts at 4 ohms. So it would be 200 watts through my SWR 2x10 and then another 200 or 300 watts through the 12 or 15 that I get.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I use a 2x10, 1x12 setup and it handles the low B just fine! I'm pumping 500w in 'em and they can certainly handle a lot more with no problem! My real world experience includes playing Top40/Dance at moderate volumes!
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

If both your cabs are 8ohms, go ahead and bridge that sucker to pump 830w into a 4ohm load!

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have an Avatar 210 NEO and will be getting the 112 for my church rig after trying out a friend's. Frankly, I was surprised at how LOUD these cabs get (powered by GrooveBass 1200) and how rich and full the tone is. You won't be disappointed.

Word to the wise. If you go with Avatars get the crossover mod that has been posted here.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have to chime in here regarding the crossover in Avatar Speakers. While the crossover is a cheap crude version and probably should be upgraded, I personally have not had a problem with mine. I don't turn it up all the way and I don't eq in a lot of highs. I like a more subdued well rounded sound espescially in my slap tones. I like it smooth.
  9. Nitkin

Aug 10, 2002
    I use exactly the same setup you thought about - Bag End`s 2x10 + 1X12,i have `15 BE speker too,but `12 sounds much more articulate(or focused??))) for my taste
  10. I used to play through an SWR Gol. Jr.III cab and an Aguilar 112. It sounded OK, but to my ears not as good as combining the SWR and a Bag End S15D. YMMV.
  11. cirwin

May 2, 2005
    Try it BUT - if the cabs are different efficiencies, one will be louder than the other. And it they have differnet frequency responses, you won't be able to control them separately. When I use different cabs together, I run my preamp out into a stereo eq and then into the amp in stereo mode. That was I can have total control over volume and eq.

Charlie Irwin
  12. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    OK, you're going to thing I'm an Epifani ho, but the fact of
    the matter is my epi 210UL on top of my 112UL is massive
    for its size and weight. I've used an AI Focus as my amp.
    You can imagine walking into a gig with a box in each hand,
    bass and amp over my shoulder and killing with tone and
    volume. The 112UL has a bit more lows, and the 210UL is
    fat and punchy.