1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2x10 + 1x15 or 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jul 21, 2001.

1. 2x10 + 1x15

30 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. 4x10

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. Do you guys think that i should get a 2x10 with a 1x15 or just a 4x10? I play prog. rock.

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I like my 10s, but I really feel my sound with my 18. I think that having more speaker helps to get that big, fat, thick, and chunky sound. :D

3. So your vote would probably even go then for a 2x10 and a 1x18 instead.

4. 2x10 + 1x18 is easier to carry, can be split up for small vs large gigs. If you stack them, you will still get the benefit of mutual coupling.

Be careful choosing the 18", as all the ones I've seen are in too small a box and the bass droops badly. Audition both very well before you buy.

5. disbidness

disbidness

Aug 18, 2000
    i have a 1x15 marshall and it sounds so good with the lows and when i got more into my bass i found my self needing more highs. so with very little money i went to look for a 2x10 cab but couldn't find one i could afford. i then came a cross a 2x12 guitar cab and talk the guy down on it.granted it is not a bass cab it still sounds real good.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I play a 4x10 and a 1x15... So that's my opinion on cabs.

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I like my 18. I am sure a good 15 would also sound nice.

8. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    what 18 do you have...just curious which ones you do like

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Not to answer his question... But I believe Gabu uses Carvin stuff... So I believe he uses an 18" Carvin. :)

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yep, you are right on the nose Crawlie. :)

I use the Carvin RC21018 combo. It's a 600w 210 combo with a 1x18 ext cab.

I just got done using it a second ago. I may have found a DRUMMER! Yahoo!! :D

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Generally am, when I comment on other peoples equip. I pay attention to all the stuff everyone says on TB! :)

Good luck, I'm on the search for a decent guitarist that has similiar musical interests as my drummer, vocalist, and myself.

:D

12. Do you guys think that a SWR or Mesa 2x10 will be loud enough for like a decent sized place. like small venues such as bars and small little clubs and what not?

13. Hold that that. I was just talkin with the store manager at the Samash in Franklin Mills Mall, in Pa, his name's Mike Oughton, for those of you who live in the area, and he's a buddy of mine and all, he's workin right now to get a kick a** price on a new Aguilar Mos FET 700W head and an Aguilar 2x10 and 1x15 cab. What do you guys think, in your own opinion, Rock music worthy in it's style of music?

14. I play on the house amp every week. It is a Carvin RC210. It makes a lot of noise, and is able to damage the hearing of everybody in the club not wearing ear protection. The band produces 105 dB at the audience distance.

The bad news is the RC210 sux for a 5 string. It has no bottom.

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    To me it sounds okay. (read: average) But it's a lot fatter with the 18" ext cab tacked on to it. :)

16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    For my purposes, the more cabs into which the speakers are loaded the better. It's more convenient. You can get one in the trunk and one in the back seat. The bigger the cab, the more likely you'll need a bus to lug it around. If you can get a 2x10 with a horn, stack it with a 15, that would be a nice set up.

The RC210 runs a Carvin 600 (300/300) head. You can run that through a 15" or 18" extension cabnet to shake the floor and bust a few livers open. The wattage should be there for that low B to come through I'd think.

I'm actually considering purchasing the R600. Factory direct at about $569 with $19 shipping. It looks like an OK deal.

17. MypartnerStinks

MypartnerStinks

Jun 19, 2001
    MY R1000 Just showed up today. I don't have my aguilar 4x10 yet so I haven't really been able to put it though its paces. Through Head phones though it lets you get a several different sounds. I think I'm going to like it. I never heard any Carvin stuff other then PA. So I was kind of scared to buy one, but for the power, and features the price can't be beat. I'm going to end up playing this carvin head though a aguilar 4x10 and a peavey 2x15 I think its going to sound good. Cross my fingers.

18. MypartnerStinks

MypartnerStinks

Jun 19, 2001
    O yeah my vote is for a 4x10 and a 2x15, 2 screaming 300 watt guitar amps a dummer with thick sticks and arms like tree trunks, and a singer with a 1000 watt peavey PA. I need it. ;)

19. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Cabs won't get you over the guitars, watts will help a lot more than cabs will. And drummers generally are about just as loud as each other.

IMO, the only thing that having more cabs gives you, is more diversity in your tone. Generally , the more cabs you have, the thicker the sound.

20. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Good luck. I think Guitar-Villa has a Carvin combo (or head) I can't remember which it is... In there. I was foolin' around in there with my friend Doug the other day, and I saw it... I didn't really pay much attention to it, considering I was looking at cabs... Just figured I'd give you the heads up though.