2x10+1X15 ported or non ported?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pookabass, Sep 15, 2005.

1. pookabass

Aug 22, 2005
    I just purchased a new GK 700RBII and I wanna team the thing up with GK cabs. I enjoy the sound of the 2x10+1x15 set up the real question is should I go with the ported cabs or the non-ported cabs. I play in a rock band but, we are a bit adventerous and i like my sound to have deep bass but responsive mids and highs. Any suggestions would RULE! :p
  2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I got great tone with a 2x10 (Avatar pro) + 1x15 (SWR WM) setup, both were ported.
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Ideally, both front ported. More output than sealed cabs and more boom control than rear ported cabs.
  4. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I read rear ported cabs are boomy only if you operate them in extreme proximity with a wall. As far as I know, the ports are intended just to allow the flow of air. So if it's too close to a wall then you're difficulting the air flow, which implies you're altering the box's tuning (like shrinking the ports' section -just an example-). There's no sound comming out of the ports so it shouldn't matter where the ports are (they usually put them back to save some space).

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    From a simplified technical standpoint you want to use sealed cabs when their bandwidth does not extend to the lowest notes and vented when it does. That means ports on the fifteen, no ports on the tens. Boom has nothing to do with vented versus sealed, it's just the result of a poorly engineered/executed design.
    There most certainly is, but the frequencies involved are non-directional.
    You didn't read it in the Journal of the AES.
    True, but in most cases that would involve being less than an inch away, not something to lose sleep over. Where the distance is quite small the effect would be to lower the tuning frequency of the cabinet, and that would result in less boom rather than more.
  6. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanks so much Bill for your corrections. I had some missconcepts there. So soundwise, do we lose something with rear porting in comparison to front porting if such frequencies are non directional? I mean, eyes closed, could I tell the difference between two cabs (one rear ported, one front ported) with same volume and equally tuned? Thanks!