2x10 + 1x15 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hanales, Aug 10, 2003.

1. hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    Hey all,

I'm currently in the process of building my rig.

I'm going to do 2x10's and 1x15 because that's the kind of tone I like.

However, I'm working with limited funds, so....

Which cab should I skimp on? Which size is more important to spend a larger amount on? or should I just get one of them and save for later?

I'd prefer to do both now, as I could use the volume.

Any advice is appreciated.

Oh, and I play a 6 low B to High C, but the lower register is more important to me tonally.

2. Dondi

May 3, 2003
    To me, you are already compromising by using a 15 incher on the bottom. The sound you get is determined by the total cone area you are using.
    See if you can find a 2x10 extention cabinet instead. But you will save money if you get a 15 for the bottom.
  3. hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    So would you recommend 2x10 + 1x18?
    I like big boom wood smash head kind of tone.
  4. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    I think he's arguing that you need all tens, but I don't buy it - not for the sound you seem to be describing. It all depends on which tens and which fifteens. But you used the magic phrase limited budget" which knocks out a lot of what most people are going to say in this thread - it's very easy to "spend" other peoples money anonymously.
  5. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    When you say limited funds, how much do you mean?

An actual number will help people give you a more detailed answer.
  6. hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    Well, I probably want to spend 3-4 hundred on cabs right now (I'm looking at the used market)
  7. Yeah it is easy to spend other people's money. If you were going with Eden 210xst's, then yeah 2 of those would be fine. But they retail for about 750 each.

You could go with Avatar. a 210 and cb15 would set you back just under 500.

You might be able to find some deals on used gear too. I'm selling or trading my Peavey cabs (410 + 15) for 500. Those dish out plenty of bottom end. If you see any of those used, give them a try. I recommend them if you don't mind the weight.
  8. rdkill

Jan 20, 2003
    This setup is $190.

Next step up is $220:

Big step up $590:

The owner of the company is a bass player and uses the latter himself.

You really should get both the same manufacturer so that they will "stack" nicely.
  9. hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    Yeah I'm really thinking about those madisons. I may end up building them myself, since I have the time and could save a lot of money that way. (My time has no value ;)
  10. hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    they have the madison 1x15 in the scratch and dent for 150.
    woo woo.
  11. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    The paucity of information on the Steel Sound cabinets, coupled with the facts that nobody knows them firsthand - makes me leery. I'd start with the assumption that those numbers are arrived at in the most generous fashion. Peak power, -10db bandwith specs, efficiency at 2.83v, etc...
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I looked into the Madison gear. As well as the Legion, and Sequence, the Madison "secondary" brands. Only go there is you have to.

I was wondering about the bottom end as well. I started a thread here not too long ago, and asked what was better: a 215, or a 118. The voting ended up something like 20-1 in favour of the 215. And, wouldn't ya know it, I have a SWEET 215 for sale. It has the Peavey Black Widows, they rock!

I would suggest you spend the money right now on a very nice 210. I think it is better to have one "nice" cab, then two so-so ones.