Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10/1x15 vs. 2 4x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Oct 26, 2005.

1. alright sorry for all the recent questions about everything but this shoudl be the last one.

ok so no i have a a mesa 2x10/1x15 setup with a 350 watt ampeg head. i play metal so stuff is usually pretty loud. both my guitar players have 4x12 cabs, (marshall and berhinger) and one has a marshall head and the other a peavey 6505. is my set up honestly going to be able to compete with them, i know its 1000 watt bass set up but is it going to put to much stress on the speakers and head to be against both guitars? i really hope now, because ive already spent the 1300 give of take on the mesa and gone through one return already. if i did return my newer new ones, would the powerhouse 4x10 be able to compete, i know its less wattage handeling but its got more speakers. i usually play witha high end, treblely sound too..

and not be rude, but please do not suggest any other ideas such as 4x10 and a 2x10, i dont have anymore money at all. its really a powerfull as hell 4x10 or a 2x10/1x15... i only have about 1300 as well if i return my current stuff. i would really also like to play mesas and nothing else.

thanks for all your guys resent help as well.

2. It depends on how loud you guys play. If you push your head all the time my bet is that you'll be able to hear yourself a little bit, but dont expect to be overpowering anyone.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Mesa cabs are killer for the rock/metal situation. Your head is a little on the shy end, but you will probably be ok. Just push the low mids rather than boomy lows.

However, I dont think you will be overwhelmed in a live situation, since bass usually projects pretty well.

You will probably get a little more volume out of the 1x15/2x10 setup than a 4x10. 15's are usually pretty responsive.

Just ask your guitarists to be reasonable. I once saw a band that had two guitarists- one with a half stack (crate 4x12) the other with a Peavey Combo (1x12). They matched their volume perfectly so the guy with the 1x12 could be heard equally. He was the lead guitarist after all.

I say just take your niche with low mids and midrange. 4x12s can do a lot of bass. My cut-through tone is a midrange one.

4. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    YES but how much you cut through will depend on your EQ settings and/or where you stand in relation to your cabs

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I ran the same head against two half stacks in a hard rock band for sometime. It should be "alright", as long as you don't push the lows hard. Set it flat, crank it up, and you'll be alright.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    The 4x10 and a 2x10 + 1x15 have roughly the same speaker area. If you were to exchange both 2x10 and 1x15 for a 4x10 you would be effictivley be halfing your wattage and retaining more or less the same speaker area which would mean a decrease in volume by aproximatley 3dB. So I wouldnt recommend going down that line. If your guitarists match their volume to you then everything should be ok. If they dont and just crank it then I dont think you would be able to compete. It depends really on your guitar players the size of the venues you play and if you have PA support or not. The only way your going to get any louder is to introduce a power amp or increase your speaker area. Which is exactly what you dont want to hear but the truth hurts I suppose.

7. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Also, if your 210 and 115 are 8Ohm cabs, you can bridge into them (reducing Ohms to 4) and get more out of your head than through one 410 (if it is also 8Ohms).

You say "350 watt ampeg head" and "i know its 1000 watt bass set up". So, is your head 350watts, or 1000 watts?

If your signal is 'trebley', like you said, you may be okay. For me, until I got a 800watt power amp, I would always run into a situation where I felt underpowered.

If you're having trouble hearing yourself, you can always put a little something under the front-bottom of your 210 to angle it up towards your head.

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    IME a 115+210 has more volume and low end than a 4x10 of the same design.

You should be fine if you follow the good advice in this thread: don't boost lows, boost the low mids (position 2 on the ampeg's mid frequency switch) and use the ultra bright button to dial in some cutting highs (I'm assuming its an SVT3Pro).