Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10 + 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Mar 26, 2005.

1. What do you think? With one Cab with 2x10 speakers, and another 1x15 speaker?

I have not heard this setup, but I can imagine that it got Both deep lows and rich mid, and great highs.
    (Both cabs got 1 Tweeter)
    Have you experienced this setup?

Thank you.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Definitely a good set up. Best of both worlds, tightness of the 10's and the fat lows of the 15.

It's also good because you have 3 set up choices for different situations. That 2x10 is good for practicing at home or maybe with a low vol. band...the 15 is big enough for small shows or loud practice and both together are a great set up for either practice or full sized gigs.

I've been doing a 1x12 and 4x10 for similar reasons, but also regularly play a 1x15/2x10 set up.

3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Pretty standard full range configuration and certainly my preference.

I have two rigs (GK and Hartke) with this cab configuration and if I was going to buy a third today it would also have a 210 & 115.

I had a 2x12 and it just didn't do it for me. Couldn't get the highs to cut through like I needed them too.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've never actually used this setup, but for a long time swore by a 410 and 115 combo. It does exactly what you said: give you the projection and clarity of 10s with the thump of a huge 15.

a 210 would do the same thing, in a smaller package.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It really depends on what cabs & amp you're using. Many 2x10 cabs handle a bit more power than a 1x15, many 1x15 cabs with horns are a bit soft and tend to lack sack when compared to many 2x10's...be more specific with the equipment and the application....

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I used the 210 + 115 setup for about two years before trading my 210 in for a 410 for a bit more volume. I got crisp highs, deep lows, and one hell of a backache.

7. I am going to use Yamaha bbt 500h head (500watts at 2 ohm)
    with belonging cabs. 2x10 is already out on the market, but currently they are showing their new cabs in Frankfurt. So here in Sweden I will get the 1x15 cab this summer.

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I use a 210xl and 115xl Hartke setup and it sounds great to me. I do like a real "hi-fi" type sound with clarity being a major factor in this. With this sort of setup you have the option of biamping to let the 15 take the low end and the 10s do the mids and highs. I've just ordered another Hartke cab, a 2.5xl as it's full range (bass port, HF driver) and I intend to use this as an extra with the main rig or on it's own for smaller gigs.

9. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I used a Goliath II 410 for a few years, but always felt that it lacked clarity in louder settings...the bottom end settled on the stage but it didn't project out well, while the top seemed to disappear.

More recently I've been using Eden D210T and D115T cabs. It seems clearer and carries better as well. Having the 210 closer to ear level helps. But when I tried the SWR 410 and Eden 210 together, the Eden was too bright while the SWR was too dark.

I guess this suggests that not only having certain kinds of cabs is important but that they sonically go together, too.

10. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I also used a 2x10 and 1x15 Hartke XL set up for a few years. I liked it over the 4x10 1x15 set up I had before it. The 4x10 was way too powerful and I didn't have it biamped so I had a lot of high and mids without the bottom end I wanted. I think the 2x10 and 1x15 balance really well. I now have the 21012 Schroeder and I think it works under the same theory. The 12 carries the bottom while you get your highs and mids mostly from the 2 tens and the tweeter.