2x10 / 2x12 cabinets with GRUNT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nil, Feb 26, 2002.

1. What 2x10 or 2x12 cabinets are available that can handle ~800w @ 8ohms, and that don't cost the earth?

With my 8x10 coming, my 4x10 will be kinda redundant, but I want a small cabinet for smaller gigs that can still go loud.

Component-wise, what would be the best 10" drivers to use should I find an empty cabinet?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    800 watts is a stretch, at least in RMS handling. I can't think of any 10" speaker that will take 400 watts RMS.

What 8-10 are you getting? Sticking with a 2-10 of the same brand will get you a similar sound.

When you say "grunt" I think aggressive mids and that means Ampeg and Ashdown to me.
  3. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    ....an inexpensive 800 watt 2x10 cabinet.....

4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Eminence Kappas are rated at 400W RMS, however that's 8 ohms... My Carvin RC210 with Kappas will now effectively take 800W at 4 ohms, sounds significantly better than it did with the Carvin PS10's... Doesn't help with the 8 ohm quest though...

5. It's a locally-made version of an Ampeg, loaded with Eminence Kappas. I'll probably look at getting them to make me one, but was wondering what else is available.

I know that one side of my Eden (400w/4ohms) won't be enough with a 2x10, so was thinking by being able to bridge (and using a higher-rated 2x10) I could at least keep a certain amount of stage volume. Yeah yeah i'm probably asking for a bit much... ;)

By "grunt" I was meaning, well, "grunt". High-power handling. :)
  6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Wouldn't overal loudness be more important than power handling?
  7. The two kinda go hand-in-hand. With 800w over 400w, i'd gain 3db, which in smaller venues should make a difference, if the speakers aren't too inefficient. I guess the other option would be to drive each 10" speaker independently from each amp channel, I doubt though that it would make much difference.

Like everyone here, I want the power of an 8x10 that I can fit in my back pocket! :D
  8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The two don't go hand-in-hand for just
    the reason to which you alluded: efficiency.

The Acme Low B2 will take almost anything you
    can throw at it, but it will never be loud.

The Eden 2x12 will blow your socks off with much
    less power.

My advice: Go by the sound/volume that
    you hear and don't worry about power ratings.
  9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    A Epifani or Bergantino would be what your looking for if they were 8 ohms.