2x10 + 2x12 or 2x10 +1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hanales, Aug 21, 2003.

1. 2x10 + 2x12 12z RULE

32 vote(s)
  2. 2x10 + 1x15 U NEED TEH LOWEND!

25 vote(s)
  1. hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    There's the question.
    Make my decision for me.
  2. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Nobody can make a decision for you, all we can supply is advice!;)

I say the 2x12: more efficient, louder and can handle more of the frequency spectrum that a 15 can (and *usually* it is less muddy) without being *much* heavier.

There are of course exceptions to what I mentioned, but I would go with a 210+212 setup.
  3. hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    No I demand you tell me what to do! ;)

I've always loved that big huge woody sound, which I thought was only possible with 15's or larger.

Forgive, my knowledge of amplification is very small.
  4. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Haha well mine isn't so vast either...:D

A 15 will generally give a really warm but occasionally muffled sound. A 212 will do most of that, less "subwoofer"y lows but more definition and more volume.

But on the other hand you haven't said anything about what kind of music you play, if you have a low B string on your bass, if you compete with loud guitarists and drummers regularly, etc etc. I think that that can be valuable information ;)
  5. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    A 2x12 cab designed for Bass will probably give you more lows than a 1x15 as there is more speaker surface area.

But the drivers used and the cabinet design will detemine which actually handles better lows. An efficient quality 15 in a large efficient cabinet (like a folded horn) will most likely produce better lows than 2 cheap 12s in a small (think car audio sub) enclosure.

A Bass cabinet with 4x10s typically handles lows under 60hz better than most guitar 4x12 cabinets.
    The 4x12s have more speaker surface area - but the cabinet and speakers are not designed for producing lows.

If you want really deep lows, you might look at using a PA sub with an 18. There are a number of 1x18 PA subs on the market that are less expensive than the typical 2x12 Bass cabinet designed to reproduce the deep lows.
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  7. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    I run a 15" EV with a 2x10"+2x5" trace elliot.

I really like that sound.
    But, the 15" EV pro-line is probably one of the best speakers ever built.

With a 2x12 with hord you would be more flexible because you would be able to run that as a stand-alone.
    I run a 1x12 as a stand alone, which works fine, too. The 1x12 does not match the 1x15 in bass response, but the 1x12 is much cleaner.

8. rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX

The way I understand it, just because you have more speakers, like a 2x12, doesn't mean that the cabinet can handle "lower" frequencies. Since there is more surface area it can move more air and therefore be louder, but it doesn't mean that the frequency response is lower.

I could be wrong...
  9. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    The key is "a 2x12 designed for Bass".

There are a number of Bass cabinets on the market that use 12" speakers that are designed for reproducing Bass frequencies.
    Peavey even makes a 4x12 Bass cabinet that produces lows like an 18 but is punchy like a 4x10.
  10. That's a sweet cab. I tested this 412 with a Sunn 300T...quite a rig. If it weren't so heavy, I'd own one. I guess I'm a girle-man. :rolleyes:
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It's impossible to make recommendations tone-wise... that's for your ears to decide. Also, tone and efficiency will vary depending on design.... there are woofy twelves and punchy fifteens.

But as mentioned, there are other factors. A 2x12 does have more speaker surface area. If nothing else, that means it'll probably be a bigger cabinet to move around than a 1x15. Disadvantage: weight, bulk. Advantage: it'll might sit taller (or wider?) than a 1x15.
  12. hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    Went crazy and got an aguilar 1x15 for a song that sounds absolutely beautiful.

Going to throw an avatar 2z10 on top, but if this aggie is any indication of their normal tone, I will be picking up a 4x10 in the next year.

Thanks for all your help everyone!
  13. cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    how about a guitar 212 cab plus a 115 bass cab?
    I'm considering using this setup later on if I feel like buying a head right away and I want to know you guy's opinions on this idea (this seemed like the place to ask)
  14. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    The "Murder" rig...

/QSC PL236\
    Ampeg SVP-Pro Demeter VTBP-201S
    Aggie 210+410 Aggie 212+115

Man I gotta get a rig like that!

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW

o o

That's suppose to be a 2x10 with horn and a 15". Seperate cabs, bi amped.
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's a yes and no answer.

No you don't necessarily get any additional low frequencies by adding a second cab. The Fs (resonant frequency) doesn't change by adding additional drivers. So if it went down to 40Hz as a single driver, it still goes down to 40Hz with 2 drivers,

Coupling. You will get a those frequencies above 40Hz sounding much louder, especially the low ones. Consider this, you can get decent bottom end out of most 4x10 cabs nowdays. But if you took 4 individual 10's and spread them around the stage, you won't get nearly as much bottm end. Am I making sense?
  17. rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX

Makes sense...that's exactly what I meant.
  18. CPL

Aug 24, 2003
    New England Area. USA
    I have used all sorts of combinations, except for 12's. I'm thinking of maybe an 18 with 10's if I decide to go with a stack again. I may wind up with a combo with a 15 though.
  19. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I use an Ernie Ball MM 212 and an Eden 210XLT together. It works for me!
  20. bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    Well, here's my 2 cents worth. I have an Eden 2x10 xlt, an Eden 115 T and an Avatar 2X12.
    The 212 and 210 combination is loud, punchy and strong. the 212 and 115 combination is loud and deep. The 210 and 115 is not as loud as the 212 combos but is very smooth across the range. Go for what you can afford. Not part of your question but I played a Bergantino 410 this weekend and WOW. Expensive and heavy but the tone was sweet.