Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10, 2x12 stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FungusHumungous, Aug 9, 2003.

1. I've been pondering a loud, punchy, musical and more importantly portable stack for a while.

Would a 2x10 and 2x12 combination provide enough lowends and highs for a stickly 4 string player?

Glenn

ps- random question: where(URL) can I buy/order Levy's straps online?

2. Well, it depends what you mean by "stickly." :D
    I think you'd be real pleased with a 2x10 + 2x12 set-up. I know I am..
    [​IMG]

3. strictly*

4. Oh! LOL. Gotcha.
    The answer is still yes. I am strictly a 4-stringer as well. The 12s provide great midrange and a nice low end, while the 10s round out the top. I recommend this set-up for great sound as well as portability. The Aguilars are priced right, too. Give Gard a call, he'll hook you up.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    4x10 and a 4x12. i knwo its not as portable, however wouldnt that too accomplish the same tonal charecteristics and such? casue thats the way i was thinking of going.

6. Damn, man, that would be earthshaking! The only issue I see with that is that it's a little excessive unless you're playing really big venues. I feel silly dragging my stack into clubs sometimes, when the other bass players on the bill are using 1x15 combos. Of course, sometimes they've got SVTs with 8x10s, and then I think they're silly.. :D

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea i suppose your right, well then again a 2x10 and 2x12 would be cool, but i bi-amp, so i run one amp to one cab and one to another. do you still think it would be worth it? or if i do that should i go with the 4x10, 4x12?

8. I'm using a 210/212 combination and I think it really kills.I'm using a SWR 212 with Eminence Kappas and a Eden 210XLT together and I love it.It can get too loud for me and the B string is very clear and deep.Both my cabinets sound great by themselves but shine when together.It's no Aggie or Berg.stack but I'm very happy with it.

9. I say go with what will suit your needs. Either way, you'll have a killin' rig. Before you go 4x10 + 4x12, just be sure to consider portability issues -- in case, at the end of the night, you have to move those cabs yourself.

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea i thought id get to working on that hurnia. :D alright, well i think ill look into small first...and see where that gets me, then big.

11. Yeah portability is a huge issue with me because I definately want a stack with individual ocmponents less than 75 pounds and easily portable (my TNT115 is over 75 pounds and only has a handle strap up top and casters).
    Thus I have been looking at different compnaies Light weight like with the neo... speakers
    like epifani, ampeg, genz benz...

Glenn

12. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I've been using an Aguilar 2x12 with a 2x10. It sounds really nice, good low end but nice tight mids and highs as well. I run it with an Ampeg svt-4 head and it sounds really sweet. I've played with bi-amping it as well, but I like it full range better.

13. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so i thoguth this, aguilar 2x10, 2x12, and 1x15. i would run one amp to two cabs and one amp to one cab. hows that work? i figure id get good sound everywhere. or should i just stick with the 2x12 and the 2x10?

14. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I'd say try the 210/212 stack first, if you need more low end add on. If you go with the Aggies I don't think you'll be needing the 15". The 212 kicks out some nice low end.

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    alright cool man, thanks.