Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2X10 advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bluesbob, May 9, 2003.

1. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    I have an Eden WT400 head and I want to buy a 2X10 cab to use with it in small clubs. I already have a Goliath III 4X10 and a Son of Bertha 1X15, but I need something really small and portable that I could also use with the 1X15. I have a chance to buy an Eden D210T for a really sweet price, but I have to pay cash. I'm already tapped from buying the amp and another Jazz bass recently and I would have to postpone or delay my purchase for a little while. On the other hand, I can buy an SWR Goliath Junior tomorrow with my credit card and not have to pay for a year with no interest! I love paying for it as i'm playing it! So what would you choose? I'm very pleased with the sound of both of my SWR cabs. Is there so much of a difference in sound between SWR and Eden that I might kick myself for one decision or another? I play almost all old school (blues, R'n'B, some classic rock), finger style using TI Flats. I'm looking for some "boingk" without much "zing", but clean and clear. Thanks for any help or advice.

2. Get a cash advance on your credit card and buy the Eden.

3. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    But I'd still have to pay interest on the cash advance. And I like to pay the credit cards off before I accrue any charges. My wife and I juggle purchases and cards so we can avoid them as much as possible. In other words, I can't. Is the D210T worth waiting for?

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Since you like the sound of the SWR's you should feel comfortable about buying the Goliath Jr. And, I'm assuming, you're buying it new, should it turn out you don't like it you can always return it.

And no matter what you buy, you will always kick yourself at one point or another so I wouldn't even bring that into consideration. :)

On another note, interest rates/fees on cash advances from credit cards are generally ludicrous. I would never advise a bass player to use that option if they are cash strapped to begin with. Only guitar players.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Another vote for SWR Goliath Jr. They sound great, and the extra zing can be remedied by turning down the tweeter. Another neat thing about them is their light weight... significantly lighter than the Eden 2x10 cabs.

6. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I use the Hartke Transporter 2x10 with a SWR workingman's 15 and a Ampeg PB250,The 2x10 only weighs 32lbs. It sounds great, and is very portable.
    That rig has handled everything I have thrown at it.
    The 2x10 was only $250.00, They make 3 different
    2x10. The transporter was the lightest, and the lowest priced. 150w@8ohms.:)

7. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    Keep it coming!

8. If you're going to be using the 2x10 cab alone, I wouldn't get the 210T. I have one in my bi-amped system and they're great cabs, I love mine, but they just don't put out the bass and I don't think you'd be happy with it as a stand alone cab. A better bet would be the 210XLT.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  10. Devnor

Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    I have to use a 15" alongside the D210T for acceptable results. Nice weight and size but weak in the bass dept.

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I used to think that SWR cabs had a LOT of "zing" until I got my Epifani 3X10. The amound of zing in the the second generation of "modern" cabs is almost rediculous (Epi, Berg, etc.). If you're happy with the "SWR sound", then I'd stick with it. They still make good equipment that lasts and sounds good. You know exactly what you're getting with SWR, whereas you might not be so pleased due to your unfamiliarity with Eden gear.....its not the difference between night and day, althought they are very different cabs.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've been using my WT-300 and a D-210XLT at rehearsals, and I just love the tone. It's not exceptionally loud, but it reaches from the B string on up with great tone. It's a few extra bucks, but I'd go for the double port. Of course, you could sell your wife and get an XST.

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you like the Eden shiznit, you should check out the Nemesis N210P extension cab. It's pretty light and uses Eden speakers. Only hitch is that it's wired 4 ohms, so make sure your amp can take the punishment.

The Hartke transporter is really light; the problem there is that it's not very efficient.

14. As an SWR player with a Goliath III, I have to say that I am enthralled with my slightly used Eden D210XLT I just picked up. I may get another, and let the Goliath III go (or at least put it on the bench).

I just played my first gig with the Eden cab, and I am wetting myself with joy!;) :D

More about this here: Could Munji be right about Eden.........?

15. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    I love the XLT. I want one but right now I'm looking for small and easy to carry. Thanks for all your help everybody, but I think I'm gonna go with the Goliath Jr., since nobody really tried to stop me. See you on the subway!

16. Small and easy to carry says Aggie GS112 to me. They'll handle 300 watts which is WAY more than the SWR and is just as portable. I love both of mine. I also have two Eden 210T's and if you believe the guys who say it doesn't have enough bass, your SWR 210 will sound pretty thin compared to it. It's a smaller box and won't handle the same power. Good Luck though!

17. OOOPS! My bad, I was thinking of the Goliath Jr II. Sounds like you've got thing figured out, cause I sure don't.:meh:

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You'll be fine.

19. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    Bought the floor model (all they had) Goliath Jr. at the local GC. Hooked up the WT-400, played a low A and discovered a blown speaker. Fortunately I got a deal where I can bring it back for a new one when they get it in. So I had to use my Basic Black last night, which was just OK, clipping occasionally, but not audibly, as far as I could tell. Oh well...