2x10 and 1x15 OR 2x10 and 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    heres the deal. I have a $280 dollars. My rig now is
    Hartke 3500
    SWR Goliath Jr.
    I want to add another cab, but im not sure which. I like the avatars (http://www.avatarspeakers.com/)
    I can add a 210 or a 15 for the same prices.
    if i add the 210, it will be more portable, more accurate and i can set one w/tweeter one w/ out
    If i add a 15 i will have a bit more low end, but it wont be as accurate, an its alot less portable.
    to tell you the truth, i like the 210 idea better, for a few reasons. portability, size, and i could run stereo (sort of...). I can put one cab on each side of the stage and get a full sound. I have done this with 15's and i liked it very much. and when the gigs are tight, i stack them. What do you think? by the way, i like accurate sound, i dont care for sloppy at all. I play rock.
  2. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I'm not all that familiar with the Avatar cabs, but they look good and their price seems hard to beat. By adding a 15 I don't think you will necessarily be adding more low end than a 2X10 because I know some 2X10's that will put a 15 to shame, some of the Eden's come to mind. IMO depending on which 15 you choose you will give your sound more warmth and roundness and you'll probably bring out more of the mid's. Most 2X10's will be much more articulate than a 15, and if that's what you're looking for then go with the 2X10. On a side note, have you thought about adding a 12"? It may be a good compromise between the 15 and the 10 and they seem to be priced right.
  3. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    true, i've seen the nemisis 1x12, 1 problem. I'm running strictly 23' 24' width. the nemisis is 18. any suggestions? i like the tens sound, since i do play lots of rock bass, i like band enhanced tone. I play lots of bright, and bost my lows a good deal, something the hartke head is quite capable of. like i said about the whole stereo thing to :) if u have any suggestions for a 1x12 under or $300, let me know.
  4. Actually, with my rig the 15" is about 8 pounds lighter than the 2x10"

Given cabinets from the same manufacturer, a 2x2x10" will be a bit louder than a 2x10" + 1x15" but if you have lotsa power that's not an issue. The amp I sold was a 4x10" combo amp - I haven't regretted going the 2x10" + 1x15" route.

5. It totally depends on what tone you want and what bass you are playing through. IMO, if you are playing through a 4, sometimes a 15'' can sound a little muddy without a crossover. Meanwhile, many (NOT ALL) 10''s sounds like sh!t with a low B. If you want more of a punchy, agressive, biting sound, get the 2X10''. If you want more a full-range sound with a very slight "boom" to it, and/or you play with a low B string, get the 15''. (I personally like the full-range tone of the 2X10'' and 15'' combination, even though I play hardcore, punk, ska and metal). I don't feel that tens alone "project" far enough, unless you have an assload of them. :D

All of what I said varies on the manufacturer. Example: an Eden 2X10'' with have just as much warmth in the low end as a SWR 15'' IMO.

Then again, I could be wrong....

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    the avatar 2x10's are very bass heavy(they're rear ported and i use an aguilar amp). they have a very good sound. i have 2 of them.depending on the venue i'll either use 2 2x10"s or 1 2x10 and 1 1x18. it doesn't really effect much other than stage volume and sound. i usually run one di and one mike on a 10" speaker. the avatars are very good for the price. don't expect bag end or epiphani, but they're better than carvin or crate.