2x10 and 1x15 or 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lownotesrule, Jan 22, 2005.

1. lownotesrule

Jan 22, 2005
    I'm wanting a new set up that won't break my back to cart around (ie not a 4x10 or bigger!) but am not sure whether to go for a 2x10 with 1x15 or just to go for 2x12 (maybe as two separate 1x12's).

I really want a clean articulate and puchy sound with clear low end. I play a 5 string and can't stand cabs, usually 2x10's) that just burp at me when hitting a low B. I've looked at eden, aguilar, EBS so far.

Suggestions please.
  2. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    i would say go 2x12. they bridge the gap between that punchy 2x10 sound and the deep 1x15 sound.
  3. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    +1 on the 2x12.

Dr. Bass makes nice 2x12 cabs for a great price.

Dr Bass Rx 212 - $299 + $20 shipping = I love mine.
  4. lownotesrule

Jan 22, 2005
    So which are the clearest and puchiest 2x12's out there? I can't really afford two 1x12's and live in UK so can't get my hands on many of the Dr Bass, Avatar etc.
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    1. A solid 2x12 cab isn't necessarily light. My MM 2x12 weighs in at 97 lbs as I recall.

2. The 2x12's I've heard all go deep, deep, deep! You;d be happy with the MM cab except for the weight

3. Rumor is that the Italian company that makes Mark Bass stuff also did the MM (Music Man) cabs or at least the drivers. So I'd start there ...
  6. lownotesrule

Jan 22, 2005
    Thanks loads for that but I think my back would lodge an official complaint and take a vote on strike action!! :p

Having read a couple of other reviews I'm almost starting to think about looking at two 2x10's as another option Or one very solid 2x10 that handles the B very well.

Indecisive I know! :rollno:
  7. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Schroeder makes some reasonably priced 2x12's and 1012's. You may consider sending one of the resellers an email and see if they can ship one out to you.
  8. there are also neo cabs, like gallien-krueger 2x12 neo, and 1x15 neo, 1x12 neo and even a 4x12 neo
  9. I'm looking at maybe getting an EBS Neo 212, its very lightweight! Check out www.ebs.bass.se for specs. They have been up for discussion in another topic here (search?), and a countryman of yours had bought the 2x12 along with the 2x10 from the same series and was very pleased!

Check it out!
  10. You want 10s, not 12s. 12s show their magic in the lower mids, but the bottom end response on a 12 isn't as tight and punchy as a 10. If you want low frquency reponse, you're going to have to look at the Bergantinos, Epifanis, Accugrooves etc. etc.
  11. I actually got a quote from Dr Bass a while ago and, even with the shipping and taxes, it was still a financially viable alternative to what we have on offer here in the UK.

If you are interested, PM me and I'll see if I can find all the figures and details. :) :)
  12. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I think that 2x12 cabs are similar in dimensions to 4x10 cabs, although lighter. So you might look into 2x(1x12) setup.
  13. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'm delighted with myGenz Benz NeoX 212T. It only weighs 62 pounds and is half the size of my 410. It has a Deep, full, lush tone and is a joy to get around in comparison to my old 410. I don't miss the 410 one bit!
  14. lownotesrule

Jan 22, 2005
    I must say that I think this is the way I'm going to go.
    You guys over there in the US don't know how good you've got it! We have to remortgage our homes to by this sort of gear!!

I've seen an eden 210xlt and am thinking of replacing my current 1x15 with this. What do you think?

I read somewhere else that Dr Bass didn't ship to UK and I feel hesitant at buying something I've never heard before. What do they compare to over here in UK?

Ta muchly :bassist: !
  15. Dr Bass DEFINITELY ship to the UK. Prices and details waiting if you want 'em. ;) ;)
  16. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Get 2 1X12's, then you have options and they sound great.
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My experience is with Bergantino cabinets. The 2x12 I once owned was a killer cab, but I sold it because IMO the 2x10/1x15 stack has a little more punch, just as much depth, and a bit more oomph (apologies for the highly technical terms ;) ).
  18. There are some really good deals on ebay for XLTs once in a while. I'msure you'll find one cheap enough to offset the shipping cost.
  19. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I've heard mixed reviews about MarkBass (http://www.markbass.it/products.php) but BassPlayer really seemed to like them and they're more in your neck of the woods. There's another manufacturer in the EU called Huevos that I've heard incredible things about, couldn't find any info online about them though. Anyway, there are two more avenues for you to look down.
  20. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    The PortaBass enclosures employ a new speaker design that does away with traditional heavy magnets and baskets. Using special, lightweight Neodymium magnets, these speakers deliver incredible power and volume. The cabinets are constructed of a high-quality Italian poplar plywood that resonates sonically enhancing your bass tone, yet is amazingly lightweight and easy to move. The removable telescoping dolly-style handle allows you to load and "roll" to the stage, even i you're already carrying your upright bass. Now with PortaBass...there are no obstacles to full powerful tone or the stage.

Dimensions: 24 x 15 x 15.5
    Weight: 32 Pounds
    Preamp (Tube or Solid State): n/a
    Power Amp (Micro Dynamic Technology): n/a
    RMS Power Output (2 Ohms): n/a
    RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): n/a
    RMS Power Output (8 Ohms): n/a
    Tone Controls: n/a
    Graphic EQ: n/a
    Ultra Low/High Boosts: n/a
    Balanced Line Out: n/a
    Effects Loop: n/a