Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10 box verses 1x12 box

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Dec 16, 2003.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have an older goliath jr. I'm thinking
    of getting a 1x12 box. (epifani, berg,
    ea, etc) Will I loose much low end and
    volume from switching? I'm talking about
    in the real world. I like less weight, but
    I'm already pushing the swr pretty hard
    sometimes.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You'll probably get a nice boost in the mids which might actually sound louder...

The PAS 10s in SWR cabinets are pretty mid-shy to my ears. I built myself a pair of 1x10s with PAS speakers (half Goliath Jr. cabinets) and Fostex tweeters and they sound better when I add in an EV TL806 cabinet with an EVM12L.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't heard a Goliath, Jr. in a while, but from what I recall of its sound, I'd say that the Epi T-112 (of which I own two) would have more low end and more high end (love that Epi tweeter!), but that the overall volume would be fairly similar. If I may offer another option, if you think that you might like to own a 1x12, then please, at least consider adding a 1x10 (now or in the future). My experience has been that you really gain some articulation and tonal balance by matching up a 1x12 with a 1x10. I also own an Epi T-110UL, and the T-112/T-110UL combo is very impressive, and fairly easy to haul around. Now that it sounds like the UL 12's might be in, a T-112UL/T-110UL would be a very portable rig that is quite loud for its size.

If you really want to just worry about one cab, and you want something that is both lighter, lower, and louder than your Goliath, Jr., then check out Accugroove's Mini Whappo (4 ohm). Flat out awesome for its size. I also own an EA Wizzy, which is a 4 ohm 1x12 (no tweeter). It is very light and pretty loud for its size. I wouldn't call it a big jump up in volume from your 2x10, but for volume/tone in a very easy to move package, it's pretty darn impressive, too. No ultra high end, though.

Hope this helps, Tom.

4. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Tom, do you ever use your Epifani 112s as a pair? How do they compare to the 112/110 combination? I have a pair of the 112s myself and find for my uses that it's about as much loud as I ever need, with great sound. Most of the time I just use one T-112. But you keep tempting me to get a 110 with your enthusiasm.

B String, the comparison I would offer you, based on three cabs I have: The Bergantino 112 is a great sounding, smooth cab. It plays the notes on the low B string fine, but doesn't have a lot of headroom or "bloom" down low (if that makes any sense). For my purposes, I always found myself combining my Bergantino HT-112 with an EX-112, much more room-filling. I have an Eden Nemesis 210P, a very good combo amp, but not quite a top of the line 210, perhaps. A single Epifani T-112 sounds deeper, crisper, and at least as loud as the Nemesis. The Epifani shakes the floor.

And the pair of Bergantinos is in a whole nother ballpark than the 210. And the pair of Epifani T-112s go beyond that - they replaced a Peavey 410 that I had with no problem, and the Peavey was a nice cab, one of the current large-size ones.

Personally I like the sound of the Epifani a little better than the Bergantino, but they are both great cabs and it's a matter of personal preference.

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I prefer the sound of the T-112/T-110UL to two T-112's. My main reason for picking up the second T-112 was so that I could run two T-112's with the T-110UL. That, and the very reasonable price that I found one for used. The T-110UL adds some upper mid articulation and clarity that you don't notice is missing, until you listen to the T-110UL. I find that I can hear myself much better on stage, and all my notes are balanced across the fingerboard. Adding the second T-112 enhances the low end (sometimes too much) and moves the sound out farther into the crowd. But the two T-112's definitely don't cut as well, and aren't as articulate as the T-112/T-110UL combo.

Tom.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    You'll notice by my sig. that I want to do the very same thing. The Problem is, people aren't that willing to give up thier Epi's... I used to have a Epi 2x12 to go with the 1x12 and they thundered!

p.s. wouldn't it be cool if Epifani made a cab with one 10 and one 12? mke it ultralight, and I'm sold! where's that suggestion box?

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You would think that I could check out
    all these options in the L.A. area. We
    are quite bass starved here. Can't hear
    anything. Anyway... I have an old, very
    small Bag End 1x15 (very small) with a
    400 watt EV, that I can add if needed.
    The Epifani sounds like it can be lower,
    louder and more articulate than the jr.
    (I hate my swr for upright bass). Is that
    correct?
    Tombowlus.. That picture of your EA stuff,
    is frightning. It could scare the crap out
    of most sound guys. lol

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Despite how it would look on paper, the Whappo, Jr. will kill the Epifani T-112 in low end, loudness and articulation. Kill it! Oh, wait, you may be talking about the Goliath, Jr.! Then yes, yes, and yes. But the Accugroove is a beauty of a beast! Of course, if you don't want to lug around a 2x10, then you won't want to carry the Whappo, Jr. But the Mini Whappo is still worth looking at.

As for that wall of EA cabs, I brought them all to an outdoor gig last summer mostly as a photo op and as somewhat of a joke. I know the sound man pretty well, and I told thim that he didn't have to run a line to my rig, "I'll take care of it." Needless to say, he got a laugh, but the funny thing is, that even though he did run a DI from me Navigator, he didn't have me up in the mix! And it sounded phenomenal! This is at a large open space, with three stacks of bins and mid/hi packs on each side of the stage. My QSC PLX 3002 was putting out close to its max 3,000w into those six cabs (the CX-310 is 5.3 ohm). However, I do not plan on doing any more shows with that many cabs (even though I picked up two more EA cabs since then!). Now that I have my Whappo, Jr., I should be able to get by with just one cab for most gigs.

Later, Tom.

9. Dang Tom, I didn't know you got the Whappo Jr.!!!
    Have you gigged with it yet? Congradulations. Man you have more speaker paper than anyone I've ever seen...

B String (nice handle)
    I've got the Bergantino HT/EX112 combo and it kills! The other suggestions are excellent too.
    I've never played the Accugrooves or the Epi 112 or 110's. I had an Epi 212 and it was too "open" sounding for me, but I didn't have the amp rigs I'm using now which probably would have made a differnce to me now.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I really do have issues, I know. ;) I just picked up the Whappo, Jr. on Monday, so I haven't had a chance to gig with it yet, and won't until Jan. 24th (taking time off for the Holidays). What can I say? Once I heard one, I tried to appease myself with other gear, but the itch just wouldn't go away! :D

Looking forward to trying it out with my iAMP 800. Of course, a 4 ohm Whappo, Jr. getting fed 1,200 watts from a WW Ultra would be nice, too! :bassist:

Later, Tom.

11. What is your zip code?
    I'll try an figure how far we are and you may get your wish...

12. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've recently gone from an Eden D210T to an Avatar CB112 for small gigs (powered by a GK 700RB).

The Avatar has more bottom than I'm used to and not as much low mid. It certainly handles my blues gigs on EUB with ease. It's also fairly light...the guys in the band ask to help carry it, but I've gotten it around with just one handle a few times. A two-handle carry by itself is rather easy.

Same situation for carrying isn't true for the beefier Eden cab...two cast frame 10s must weigh a lot more than one stamped frame 12.

13. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Tom B, I would expect the Whappo Jr. to outdo an Epifani 112, since it's a 212 plus mid plus tweeters. Sounds like a great cab.

Now, since you've got your Whappo Jr, you don't need your Epifani 110 any more, right? ;)

B String, I don't play upright, but part of Epifani's sales pitch for their 112 is how well it works for upright as well as electric, FWIW.

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, let's not get crazy, now! :p

Zip is 43420. Fremont, Ohio, right of ye Olde Turnpike. Of course, we'd have to check out your Bergies, too! :D

Tom.