Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10" cabinet for my Acoustic Image Clarus Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovastic, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Accugroove Tri 210L

60.0%
  2. SWR Goliath Jr III

13.3%
  3. Epifani UL-210

13.3%
  4. Mesa Boogie 2x10" PowerHouse

13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. groovastic

groovastic

Jul 8, 2005
    Could you please compare how would the following cabs sound with my AI Clarus head:

Accugroove Tri 210L
    SWR Goliath Junior III
    Epifani UL-210
    Mesa Boogie 2x10" PowerHouse.

I have a plan to get some 1x15" cab next year, but for now one of those should be my main cabinet.

Thanks

2. The Clarus really needs to be run at 4ohms (or even 2ohms) to get significantsound out of it... so that's one thing to consider. Since it's such an organic, natural sounding head that is relatively 'flat', I would think that the Accugroove would be great. I had a Clarus and never really liked the matchup very much with my Epifani210UL (which I had at the time). It wasn't bad, but the Clarus just didn't seem to push that cab enough... it sounded a little too 'scooped' for my tastes. I had an SWR Goliath 210 for a very short while and found that cab weak in all respects (and I like the Goliath III sound). It isn't even in the same league regarding volume and punch as the other cabs in your list (IMO, of course!).

The best matchup I found for the Clarus to get a very natural, woody warm sound was a 4ohm Acme210. The Acme's aren't very efficient, so it wasn't a really loud rig, but with my Rob Allen MB2 fretless, it sounded about as close to an upright as you are going to get without having a DB.

3. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I use my Clarus with an Accugroove Tri 112. In fact, it will be performing in about two hours from when I type this. The sound is amazing, crystal clear and defined, yet somehow still warm and natural. It's a super combination that sounds good with vintage or modern tones.

4. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    And does that combo sound good only with your MB2? How does it sound with MTD or Stambaugh?

5. Good question. I view the Clarus as a great acoustic amp (their company is even called Acoustic Image). I find that the Clarus does not really have the punch or crispness to really sound great with a solid body traditional bass guitar. I have recently ordered a Focus, since I'm a sucker for small, light digital amps (as you can see from my profile). I'm thinking the extra 400 watts (into 4 ohms) might really make a difference.

To specifically answer your question.... MTD, unfortunately no... the extreme modern, hi fi sound of my particular 'Norm Stockton' type MTD did not work at all with that amp/cab combo (IMO). I did not have the Stambaugh at the time I had my Clarus, but that's a very mellow, warm, woody bass, and would have probably worked very well with that rig. I did have a Fodera at that time, which was very similar to my Stambaugh (given my Stambaugh has a Pope preamp and Aero dual coils). For small group Jazz stuff, the Fodera/Clarus/Acme really did sound good... warm and mellow. I would not have considered using that rig for any sort of pop playing.

I'll post regarding the Focus when it comes in.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'll defer to KJung on this stuff, he knows what he's talkin bout. He is very correct in recommending you get the Clarus down to 4ohms. However, I actually like the Goliath 2x10 and think a 4ohm version would sound fine. The Epi UL210 is a terrific cab, although it would probably like a little more juice than 120 watts at 8ohms. Still, a 4ohm Acme Low B-2 is an excellent suggestion and probably the best one you'll likely get. Many people LOVE the AI amps and Acme cabs in combination.

W

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was also thinking of a 4 ohm ACME Low B-2, but voted for the Tri 210L, which to my ears sounds a lot like the Low B-2, but is more efficient (and has the Accuswitch, to run in 4 or 8 ohm mode).

I was also thinking that an EA NL-210 might sound good. They are a bit more warm and full sounding compared to the older EA 2x10 models, but still very articulate and fairly uncolored.

The Beg HT210 might also be a good choice.

Tom.

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    How about a quickie Hi-jack? I've tried the Clarius with the LDS 3 X 8 when they had booth in stock at Low Down and it rocked! It became my "reference Amp in the store for trying out new basses and it seemed to kick real nice with solid body's. Tom, I know you've played the 3X8, any thoughts?

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Darn good point! That amp does rock with pretty much any of their 8" equipped cabs. Were you thinking about the blue-face 3x8, or the Patterson 3x8 with the coax mid? Or, was it KJung's new 3x8? Or mackmrkt's new 3x8? Or... :p

But yeah, Don could, and does, build a killer cab to go with a Clarus.

Tom.

10. Well, I hope I am not doing something I won't like. I predominately play rock music, but I am looking for a clean bottom low tone (no slap sound).

My set up will be: Ampeg SVT-3 head (250 watts 8 ohms) and a Bass 12-400 Raezer's Edge cabinet (8 ohms), monster cable connecting the two. I play a four-string Reverend with decent tonal qualities and similar to a fender jazz with more range. I was thinking I'd have a chance to create my own "rock tone" with this set up. I also have on layaway a Bass-10 Raezer Edge Cabinet (8ohms) that when used together will give me 4 ohms and 450 watts from my head, a tube preamp.

So, I bet no one has this set up---would anyone want it?

I prefer you all email me answers, as I am still learning how to navigate this and find any replies.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You may be right there! :p Ampeg and Raezer's Edge don't normally go together! However, I had seriously contemplated a Bass 12-400/Bass 10 setup (and I have the Bass 10 component), but in truth, I'm not sure how good this would sound for rock. Plus, with Rich's untimely passing (RIP, Rich!), unless your Bass 10 is already made, you may have trouble finding one. Really a tragedy regarding Rich. He will be missed.

Tom.

12. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    This is going to sound wierd, but my main rig is an 8 Ohm Ernie Ball/Music Man 2x10 , my Clarus and a MXR M-80 bass DI. I play in a Rock en Espaniol band which can get pertty loud. Although I do have PA support I have been told to turndown!:D

This rig handels the gig like a champ.

There's my $.02

13. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    So guys, is there any combination with Clarus head that would make even a MTD sound good, like it sounds through a SVT head?
    Perhaps with a Mesa Boogie or some other cab from the list above.. or not from the list...?

14. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    I did hear Christian McBride playing his Pensa fretless and his upright through Clarus head and 4x10" and 1x15" (!!!!!) Epifani cabs! And it sounded great. Though it is a very weak amp for those cabinets.
    But that was probably just McBride :meh:

15. I wouldn't compare a Clarus to an SVT sound at all! However, just because I didn't care for my MTD sound through the Clarus doesn't mean you won't. I was specifically talking about the Clarus/Acme combo, which is very woody, warm and mellow to my ears... which is not what my particular MTD is! As I've noted on previous posts, I like a fairly aggressive sound (e.g., the Norm Stockton MTD sound), and the Clarus is not the best head to get that. If you have a more 'down the middle' MTD, with a maple neck,etc. and like a more traditional sound, it might work well.

One thing that I do feel pretty strongly about is that the Clarus, even running into a 4ohm load, is pretty thin once you get down to the B string. Again, that's not what AI had in mind with the Clarus anyway. :)

16. I'm picking up my new LDS 3x8 today :hyper: and plan on using it with the Focus when it comes in for small gigs. It should be pretty cool.... Neo 8"s and a selenium tweeter.... so it should get plenty 'modern sounding' if I need it. It's rated at 600watts and is 5.3 ohms, so it should be a pretty good match for the Focus. I have high hopes for the Focus... I like that 'low end roll-off' control idea.... to tighten up the low end a little bit and match the low end roll-off of the small cab. We will see!

17. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Can't wait to hear about it, Ken! I bet it will be killing with your Woods.

W