Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10 cabinets still "the thing"?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by steinbergerxp2, Aug 24, 2001.

1. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I recall reading a Bass Player interview of yours a few years back I believe, in which you mentioned that you used 2x10 cabs because that was all you were willing to carry (correct me if I'm wrong).

I like the size of 2x10 boxes but even without any EQ, I blow the drivers every so often with a solid state Ampeg head and plenty of headroom.

Is this just the price of using 2x10's or am I doing something wrong?

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

well, I've never used them alone, always w/another 2x10 or a 4x10. I meant "to carry at one time" which means a few trips to the boat (what I call my van). I mainly use two eden 410xlt cabs these days.

you should turn the attenuator knob for the horn down if the cab has one. in the direction of -db. also, watch out about standing too close to the cab if you have the high end of the eq cranked up. the feedback will blow the horn easy. there's usually a automobile lamp for a fuse and it'll light up when it's ready to go.

make sure you have enough speaker to handle your amp's power. one 2x10 can't really keep up w/a drum kit. go either an additional one or for a 2x15 or 4x10 one. of course there's svt 8x10 but that's heavy! I like breaking it down into chunks rather than one big lug. the other thing is how high the cab is from the ground. the higher up, the more you can hear it. a 2x10 is down by your ankles - even a 4x10 needs a milk crate (or two) or something under to give it height.

on bass, watt