1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x10 Cabs for GK 700RB II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ccyork, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Two Aguilar S210s (8-ohm)

23 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. One SWR Goliath III Junior (4-ohm)

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. One SWR Goliath III Junior (8-ohm)

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. One Eden D210 XLT (8-ohm)

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. One Eden D210 XLT (4-ohm)

24 vote(s)
    35.8%
  1. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Thanks to everyone who responded the first time around. I've modified the poll a little bit this time around...

So here's the situation. I'm tired of lugging lots of heavy gear around. I'm going to try going to a 2x10 setup. I'll be driving it with my Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II. My band is not terribly loud (clasic rock and oldies)...oh yeah, and I also occasionally play electric with a small jazz combo. I play a 4-string Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass. Also want something that will fit easily into the backseat or trunk of my 4-door sedan. I want a punchy bass sound that will throb. Which setup would you choose, and WHY?

PLEASE NOTE: The only 2 cabinet choice in the poll is the Aggies.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The GK sounds very good with the Eden D210XLT. Heavy cabinet though. I'd get it in 8 ohms so you can add on later for big gigs. The 700 RB has plenty of juice at 8 ohms to drive the Eden to insane levels, to the point where the speaker doesn't sound good.

3. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Would 2 cabs really be necessary for what I do? My 1 Aggie GS112 is not enough, but I think it's more due to the voicing than to the actual SPL, that's why I'm going to try 2x10s.

4. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    2 210's gives you more options. 1 cab on smaller gigs, 2 on bigger gigs. If you can find the eden cheap, go for 1 s210 and 1 xlt. The clt delivers more bass than the s210. I just sold a 210 eden for $250.

5. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    get one efficient 8 ohm cab. You will always have mix and match options, and I think an 8 ohm would sell more quickly if you needed to unload it.

I have the D210 xlt, and love it.

Are they really going for $250 ! Was yours really beat up, albass111 or...?

6. I voted "One SWR Goliath III Junior (8-ohm)". IMO, for the weight/bulk/price ratio, they're hard to beat (if you like the way they sound-I like them well enough).

I ran my SWR Gol.3 jr. for a while with an Aggie 112 and it worked nicely.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    There's just no way I would opt in favor of a single 2x10 cab if I had the option of getting two 2x10s - even if the single was a 4-ohm cab, assuming all cabs were of good quality...

I suppose you could reach the point of massive overkill, but if you're doing gigs of even moderate volume & intensity, two 2x10s would certainly not be too much. Besides, when in doubt, it's always better to have too much than not enough...

MM

8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    If I could only have ONE 210 cab for my 700RBII I would definitely get the 4ohm Eden. I have one and it absolutely kicks butt.

I used to get into arguements with others about using a single 210. I thought that was the dumbest idea in the world! I mean, they are great for small gigs and practice but a decent sized gig?? No Way!

Boy, was I stupid...sort of.

More and more there are 210 cabs being manufactured to be LOUD. NOT the same as DEEP. Sure, you can hear then 27 city blocks away but you can hardly feel them across the room.

Enter the Eden D210XLT.

Without a doubt, the biggest, baddest, ballsiest 210 out there.

I have used it for several medium sized gigs all by itself and have been absolutely happy and tonally impressed with it.

If you can ONLY get a single 210 cab, get an Eden D210XLT 4 ohm.

Notice, I said XLT NOT XST.

XST? Hmm...Never tried one out. I would like to. But I KNOW my D210XLT PERFORMS!

Yeah Baby!!

:D

Joe.

9. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    IMHO the 210 XLT is the best 210 cab on the market. If I had to choose 1 cabinet though, I would go with the Eden 212-XLT, slightly larger than the 210, only a little heavier but it will rock your world!!! Test drive one if you get the chance before your purchase.....
    Good Luck!!

10. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I dont know about the best, but for rock it would be the best fit. Those 2 Aggies would be my choice though (lots of options and more volume). What music do play and do you slap?

11. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Classic Rock, Oldies, Jazz. Also I'd like to learn some Latin/Salsa type stuff. I do not slap.

12. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Wow this looks like a close one...is one Eden 210XLT really as good as 2 Aggie S210 cabinets? :bassist:

13. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'As good as.'

The D210XLT is an exceptional cab. The only thing going against it would be that it is one of the very few other 210's that all are judged against.

There are many pro's and con's about this cab just like any other cab.

But while the Eden is definitely 'Pro' line, the Aggie S series is geared to the club scene. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that but there are some definite specification differences that may or may not appeal to you.

If you can, try both. Then get the one (s) that you like best. Keeping in consideration the job it will need to perform (style, venue size, etc.).

Joe.

14. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    I guess I mean it would be capable of equivalent cut/volume.

What would you say the difference is between 'Pro' and 'Club' gear?

I wish I could try them both, but geography makes that close to impossible.

Also, is the nature of the sound entirely different going from 2x10 to 4x10, or is it just that one is louder?

15. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Hmm. O.k. Eden pro line cabs have a very distinctive voice that facilitates 'cutting through'.

Between the Eden Pro line and the Aguilar Club line? I am not sure. I'll let you do the research on that. Sometimes though, the difference is mostly what country they were made in. Other factors include the quality of the components, construction and materials.

I hear ya.

Mostly it's just louder but sometimes there is an additive effect in bass response.

Joe.

16. If weight is an issue, Check out the Nemesis cabs - they still have the signature Eden tone, just not quite as aggressive in the mids. A 410 or pair of 210's would be a good option. There's also a 212 but I haven't been able to try it.

I use a 210XST which I prefer over the XLT for my bass (Warwick). Not quite as loud but I like its more hifi, less coloured sound and amazing lows.

17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I voted Eden 8 ohm. I responded to your other thread about the G-K head/SWR cab combination. While that mix would be good, I think the Eden cab would be much better as a standalone 2x10 because of its deeper, warmer tone. I'd say 8 ohm so you could add another cab if necessary, and I bet it would mate very well with your Aguilar GS 112. But in most cases you won't need/want another cab.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hmmm... no option for "other." :p

19. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Tom

I would never give a man with as much gear as you the option of "other." :D