1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2X10 cabs: Peavey HL 210 vs. Hartke 210XL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by YoMomma, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Peavey Headliner 210 ($199)

29 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Hartke 210XL ($249)

56 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. YoMomma

YoMomma

Jul 15, 2010
    I want to add a 2x10 cab to use alone and with an Ampeg B115E. I'm looking at the Peavey Headliner 210 and the Hartke 210XL. Close enough in price, so... ?

Any experience with either or both?

TIA, -ym

2. Why have you decided to to go with a 2x10? Just curious.

3. YoMomma

YoMomma

Jul 15, 2010
    @William: The 210 for practice and very small (Coffeehouse) gigs. The 210 together with an Ampeg B115E cab for larger stuff. It's worked well for me in the past. -ym

4. Pillgrimm13

Pillgrimm13

Sep 29, 2009
    queensbury ny
    i love the hartke, although i found the peavey sounds good with distortion the hartke 2 10" is clearer and brighter in tone and should compliment the 15 better. that being said i like a brighter bass tone, if you like warmer with more midrange sound go for the peavey.

5. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The specs are so close on those two, it makes it hard to choose. Both 200 watts RMS, frequency range is very close, and only 6lbs difference in weight. The Hartke is slightly lighter and has just a hair lower frequency range, but is $50 more, and I don't think that's enough on the specs to make $50 so I would go for the Peavey.

6. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    If you were talking the older US made Peavey stuff there'd at least be a competition, but no contest, the Hartke is what I'd pick.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Neither. From what I've learned from the speaker gurus on TB, you should buy another 115e. Matching cabs, matching frequencies, less distortion.

Or, buy one of them and try it. If it sounds good keep it, if not, return it and buy the other one.

8. Yup. The 115e can't be that much bigger then a 210. You're better off just getting an identical cab to what you already have.

9. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    The 2x10 and 115 go well together. Although I feel the 15 will outperform the 10's, Better to have a matched set either 10's or 15's

10. Much of this depends on your head and/or if you're crossovering.

Hartke and Peavey are voiced different... ...

The post is very akin to "do you like sausage or peperoni pizza better"

11. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
  12. andu

andu

Mar 31, 2003
    nyc
    i'd take the peavey. metal speakers are painful for me to listen to. i'm also boycotting all metal tweeters. ouch!!

i'm a 62 p bass with VERY old flats through my b-15 or the 610 pre amp kind of guy. i like it dark, punchy and hard.

i'm stayin warm till the cows come home.

13. YoMomma

YoMomma

Jul 15, 2010
    @Brent: No dice on that price match at AMS. They looked at it and said "activemusician is not on the Hartke list of authorized dealers, so we can't give you the discount". :crying:

Thanks though, it was worth the try!!
    -ym

14. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Really?,
    They did for me last week. It might be like MF, depends on who you get on the phone,
    Brent

15. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    I bought the Hartke 210XL from Amazon. Plugged it in, played it for 2 minutes and realized it wasn't worth the box it was shipped in, and spent $35 returning it. It just had no balls, and I couldn't turn up very loud before hearing it distort. It's not even ported.
    Called Avatar the next day and ordered their 2x10 cabinet. Now THERE is a 2x10 cabinet. Ported. 4x inputs/outputs (2x 1/4" and 2x Speakon). 500w (700w with non-neo speakers). Available in 4 or 8 ohm.

You can either find them used for around $250 or new for pay $100 more for a new one. It's an absurdly awesome 2x10 cabinet.

Don't limit yourself to just those two cabinet choices.