1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x10 combo advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve2, Jun 8, 2007.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I currently have a bassman 200 with a 1x15 and am currently having problems with it. A fender service center has had it since March except for about 1 week when they thoght it was fixed. Currently was told they are waiting on parts from fender and they are back ordered for 4 weeks that was about 8 weeks ago.

Anyway I may just get a 2x10 combo but I deffiently want something better than the Fender. Just trying to figure out the best value without spending a fortune. I would like to stay under $750 us if possible. I think my number 1 pick right now will be the new Ampeg 300 2x10 that is going to sell for $749. Also I am intrested in the Ampeg BA210 SP the other 2 is the 2x10 peavy pro and the Ashdown Mag C210.

Thanks for any advice on these combos and others

Steve

2. I have the MAG300H and the 2x10" cabinet (basically the combo is split into separate parts). I really like it, but I think the combo version of it would be hard to carry around as it is quite heavy and big. If you go this route, I recommend getting a separate head and cabinet, if possible.

My school has the Ampeg BA210 SP, and I like it. I like my Ashdown a little bit more, but the Ampeg is good too. A disadvantage to the Ampeg is that it doesn't have the capability to power an external cabinet (the Ashdown does). That being said, I would still recommend this.

I don't know anything about the Peavey, but I've heard that Peavey's in general are tough, and they last forever.

3. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    I like my Mag 300 combo...but I'm 6'4 with some muscle so the weight doesnt bother me much now. Its pretty bare bones, and solid old school mid growl. That being said...I would recommend utilizing the full 307 watts and powering another 8ohm for larger situations because the head and cab alone are only using about 170-ish. thumbs up from me if you want bare bones and old school sound.

4. Does it have to be a 2-10? if not, the Carvin BRX212 is worth looking at.

5. Ahh see, I'm a 5'8", 140 pound fifteen year old, so if I had the combo it wouldn't be very easy for me to move around. :smug:

6. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    The Nemesis 2x10 combo is great, one of the best sounding combos I've ever played through. They can be found used for well within your price range, and I think a new one is right around the top of your price range. Fairly easy to haul around also.

Good luck,
    Liam

7. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    I have played a nemesis...I liked it, light too. Id recommend it.

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    +1 on the Nemesis 2x10 combo. I own one as well, and think it's great. Ya can't go wrong...

MM

9. TeleTubby

TeleTubby

Jan 6, 2006
    Lynden, WA
    Played through quite a few combos before I settled on a used Nemesis 2x10, at a very reasonable price and well within your budget, ~half of what you're looking at spending. I absolutely love it and it does the same to my basses, including EUB- versatile, loud (if you need it to be), and reliable. Very light, too, although I have to admit I'm tempted to try a pair of neos in it- not sure tonally how it would sound but they would bring the carrying weight down to 34-35 lbs. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone, huh?:smug: Couple of tips, look for the ones with the fins on the heat sink in back and definitely put it up on end when trying it out, much tighter and more focused projection that way. Hope this helps, good luck in the search, and have fun.

10. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Another vote for the Nemesis 210 combo. I bought mine new at Bass Central for $630 but you can find used ones on e-bay of a lot less. This is the best combo amp I have ever owned. Its light and power full. The 250 watts goes a long way with this amp. I try to use it as much as I can instead of lugging around my big rig.

11. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    If Musicians Friend still has any left you should check out a Peavey BAM. It's a 2 X 10 combo that runs at 350 Watts @ 4 Ohms and you can add a 4 ohm extention cab and it will put out 500 watts @ 2 ohms. The only down side to the BAM is the weight. It weighs 96 lbs. It has built in casters and a pull out handle though.

I think they were blowing them out for $599.00

12. I vote for Ashdown also, but the 210C weighs about 62 lbs. You can put it on casters, but if you have to carry it up stairs the casters are useless. OTOH, the Ampeg is heavier. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet to get the tone you want. I would think about buying a small dolly, or even an inexpensive airline luggage cart. The Peavey BAM 210 is a great amp that has been discontinued. But it weighs 50% more than the Ashdown. The nice part about a combo is you only have one item to lug around. The nice things about components is that they are lighter and you can change the speakers or the amp when you decide to upgrade, so you can mix and match for less money.

13. Check out Carvin.

14. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    Hi

Does it have to be a combo? I have a GK backline 600 and an Avatar SB112 neo that sounds great. You didn't mention what type of music you're doing or how loud you need to play. The GK puts out 180W @ 8 ohms. If you buy an 8 ohm cab you have the option of adding a second 8 ohm cab later for the full 300W. The SB112 neo cab only weighs 39 lbs and a GK backline 600 and an SB112 neo will only run you about $600 new. If you go that route I highly recommend getting the line-x finish on the cab.

15. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I play mostly Contemporary Christian music. I play in my chruchs band we have me a guitar and drums the Auditorum seats about 500. I am also starting another Christian band to play out. The Carvin with 2 12's sound very appealing also a amp and a Avatar cab. I play mostly a 4 string Ibanez ATK 300and on rare ocassions I play a 5 string. Thanks everyone for the advice.

16. RSJ4STRING

RSJ4STRING

Aug 24, 2007
    you know i really didn't care for 12's that much until i borrowed a friends gk mb150 for a couple of gigs. YES. i use a ba210sp every sunday @ worship(it's also my main amp) and i really like it. nice warm, wooley ampeg sound, but it's a little limited on in's and out's, but still cool!! God Bless!!!!

17. I have a few amps to choose from in my arsenal, but I recently bought a used GK 400RB-III 210 combo (probably around 5-6 years old) in cherry shape that I use a lot now. This version is only 150 watts with its internal speakers (no tweeter), and 240 with an 8 ohm extension, but it really is loud for its rating, and I use it as much as I can. It weighs 65 lbs. They still make the -IV version of this model, but I think the Backline 210 combo would be a better value with slightly higher output, slightly different features.

If you need more horsepower and want GK, they've got the 700RB-II and 1001RB-II in combo format, in a variety of speaker configs (2x10, 1x15, single or double neo 12, all with tweeter). These weigh around 80 lbs. for the 2x10 version.

18. asultan

asultan

Nov 1, 2007
    If you are looking for a 210 combo, the Eden Metro is a great amp. I have one in perfect condition I'll sell to you for $850. Only reason I'm selling it is it's about 80 lbs, and I'm trading it for an Epifani UL rig that's lighter.

19. The Yorkville XM200T gets my vote. Loud and built like a tank. It's only 200W, though, and that's with an extension cab. Even without the XC it's still a loud sucker. Kind of hard to find, although I noticed that some guy with an eBay store always has one listed for $379 plus shipping. I gigged for a couple of years with the 210 model and currently have 115 model.

20. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    $379 for that amp is a really good price. Up here in the frozen north where they're made, they sell in the Long and McQuade stores for $595 or did when I bought mine over 4 years ago. Of course, the Canadian dollar was about $.80 US then.

The new Traynor version with the side handles will help with lifting it, my biggest complaint about that amp. Can't fault the sound or ability to take abuse though. Has anyone played through the new Traynor version yet? Traynor claims they've re-voiced the cabinet but it would be nice to have a bass player comment on the difference, if any.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021