1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2x10 Combo Amp Recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirkm24, Apr 24, 2009.

1. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I did some searching but wanted to solicit some opinions.

I am considering getting a 2x10 combo amp since I think it would cover any of my future gigging needs. I play out occassionally with a Jazz/Fusion Trio and it's usually in small cafe type of venues. For everything else I do, I use a PA system and run direct with no issues. Given this, I think a 2x10 would probably suffice for all of my needs. Some combos I was thinking about are the SWR Super Redhead (a timeless classic but heavy and expensive), Markbass CMD 102 or whatever there 2x10 is called or the Hartke Hydrive 2x10 combo (the cheapest but only 250 watts). I wanted to know if anyone else has experiences with these amps or if there are other ones that could be suggested.

Edit (Add): I am also curious about the Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout Combo. I know it's a single 12 but a lot of people seem to rave about it on here.

2. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
  3. PauliePower

PauliePower

Dec 9, 2008
    Reading, UK
    Ashdown ABM 2x10 combo? Basically the excellent EVO III head in a box.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Walkabout Scout has either a 12 or 15 , but also has a passive down firing radiator, which adds tons of low end. Good choice, if you want that super rich tubey tone.

5. Boogie.Man

Boogie.Man

Apr 9, 2009
    I would choose the MarkBass CMD 102P if you are set on a 2x10. IMHO, it's the best sounding 2x10 out there. But if you are not set I would consider the Mesa Boogie WalkAbout Scout. It sounds much better to me and it gives nothing up in volume to the MarkBass. I had the MarkBass for 3 weeks and then returned it for the Mesa. The MarkBass weighs almost 7 pounds more than the Mark Bass but it is a lot less bulky. I also consider it to be better built than the Mark Bass. But the Mark Bass can push 500 watts. The Mesa is only 300 watts.

6. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    mark bass cmd 102p though I'd waot a month or two till the LMIII combos come out.

I love mine and my back loves it also, odd enough it sounds better and fills the room better than my 6x10 and b4r.

7. jbassbob

jbassbob Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    Check out the Fender Bassman 250/210. I picked one up used a few months ago and it's still putting a smile on my face. Goes old school deep like a fifteen to bright and snappy and can get stupid loud without breaking up. Very underrated amp.

8. I have an Ampeg BA-210sp- loud enough, decent tone, at 76 lbs, bit heavy. These come up cheapish now & then. If I can snag a good deal on a Kickback 12 soon, I'll likely unload mine for a semi-steal.

9. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    If you were considering the super redhead you might want to look into what I did > swr bass 350 head into a 2x10 cab (i went with an avatar neo 4-ohm). two components = easy transport

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    combo's are pretty flippin' heavy. have you thought about going w/ a head and 1x12? might be a touch more expensive, but worth the gigging ease. and besides lots of great deals in the classifieds.

11. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    One of my favorite 210 combos is a Eden WT550 and a 210XST... easy to schlep and sounds grrreeeaaat!

Also, +1 on the Walkabout.

12. Eden Metro is a great combo with a lot of power and good tone. You can hook up extra cabs if called for. It is heavy though.

13. i like the idea of having dr.bass or lds make a cabinet with a rack on top then your open to just about every rack head option. and for the price of some of these combos its cheaper

14. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I absolutely love my RS210. The tone shaping is really great and it comes with a great little footswitch for muting and for switching the "enhance" knob. (The enhance knob does a mid scoop/bass boost/treble boost for slapping and lets one adjust the intensity of the effect.)

At 47 lbs you can't beat mobility and the sound is just fantastic. The only thing I would do different is maybe get separates for taking the head around as a preamp "sans cab" (I actually kind of wish I had...).

15. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Scout is fantastic. It'll play louder and sound better than any 2x10" I've used. At 50 lbs it's a pretty easy haul. Pricey though, but nobody but Mesa can get that tone. It'd be perfect for jazz/fusion and because the eq is so comprehensive and you can use overdrive or not, you can get any other tone you need. I loved mine and used it for regular weekend gigs for 4 years until I semi-retired from regular gigging.

These days I use the GK MB 150S, which is only 26 lbs. It does me fine for the smaller rooms and more polite music. With the matching extension cabinet, it'd probably do you well too. The extension cab weighs 16 lbs. Can't find much else that light that sounds so good. Like the Mesa, it's top quality and very reliable.

16. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I'm currently using a Hartke HA2500 with the 210TP cab (discontinued but available if you look). It's lightweight and sounds pretty good, considering that I got the whole rig for about $400 (I traded for the head; the cab was $150). It's also modular: I can stack 'em up on my 115 cab when I need louder.

But the killer 210 I've heard lately has been the Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0/210T. A friend (like me, he was weary to dragging around big honkin' amps) just got one and it's a honey. Very deep, tight bass, even with a 5. They go for $1300, and that's what I'd have if I were gigging regularly.

17. bassclefman

bassclefman

Apr 12, 2007
    New York City
    Get the SWR super redhead if you got the cash. You won't regret it. SWR rules baby!

18. The Carvin BR510N is a 2x10" cab which also allows you to remove the BX500 head and power other speaker enclosures. For $618, it's a great bang for the buck deal, plus it's made in the USA.

19. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    my vote goes to
    Eden Metro - great tone, nice volume, very heavy
    Mesa Walkabout Scout - great tone, easy to carry, not very loud

but what is your reason behind getting a combo instead of head + cab?
    head + cab is more flexible for tone and transport
    more chance of a good deal if you buy separate, and easier sale in the future too.