2X10 Combo Decision-opinion time!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whamonkey, Jun 25, 2003.

1. I know....a million threads on this topic BUT I just want some opinions on this. If you could choose between these 5 Combos, based solely on tone and versatility, which would you choose?

Eden DC210XLT Metro
    GK 700RB/210
    Fender 400 PRO
    Peavey BAM 210
    SWR Super Redhead

Cost is irrelevent.....taste is reletive but hey...we all know when something sounds GOOD.
  2. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I think you'd be a happy camper with any of them.

I like the fender, redhead, and gk. I'm sure the others are good, but I have never played them.
  3. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    How about an EBS Taurus? 240W into a 2x10. Built in compression, octaver, chorus. Kills all the stuff you listed.

unfortunately they're very difficult to find, and extraordinarily expensive new.

luckily, I happen to have one for sale :D

Alwasys there to help out a fellow bassist :rolleyes:

From your list, I've played the GK and thought it was very good. Don't know if the Fender would be in the same league.
  4. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Oh, and if you're not set on a 2x10 and money is no object, you owe it to yourself to consider the 800W Euphonic Audio 1x12 combo. I've played through other EA gear, and I'm sure this combo will just kill. It'll be much lighter than the other stuff you're looking at, too. You can add a 2x10 onto it if you want, I'm sure.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to own an Eden Metro. And I am a big fan of the SWR Super Redhead.

As a current Peavey BAM210 owner, I can tell you that the BAM blows both of them away. It is louder than the Metro, every bit as loud as the Super Redhead, sounds better than either of them, and handles the low B(if you use one) much better than either of them.

The modeling and effects are very useful too, but they are just gravy. The amp is a great deal, even if you don't use them. I do use them, and it is nice to have the sound of several amps/cabinets built in to my amp.
  6. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    :cool: You'll be in good hands with any of the combos that you list. It really does come down to your personal preference. As a person who was in the market for a 2x10 combo as well, I've done all kinds of research and I'm sure you've seen some of my discussions in other threads as well. It really does all boil down to your preference and what features you want. Each amp has attractive items that are found solely on their companies respective amp. If we were to bass this comparison solely on tone like you stated in your first post, I'd probably go with the Eden Metro. It has that characteristic Eden Tone, and combined with the 210xlt it produces the best bass out of the group. I like the fact that you have such a powerful amp in there for expansion cabinets, but what I love most about the Metro is the fact that it has two switchable independent channels. That is so helpful if you use more than one bass in a live setting. The bad part about this guy is that he's heavy for a Combo. But I think the tone and prestige of this amp makes up for it. Second on my list would be the Superredhead. When I tried the Superredhead, I found it to have a brighter tone than the eden and to be very trebbly. If you have a flat sounding bass, this may be good, but if you have a very hot-bright sounding bass, the tweeter may end up sounding harsh. Great sounding combo, but IMO, I didn't like the tone as much. The great thing about this amp is the extra rack spot beneath the head. You can throw a rackmounted tuner or some effects rack in there. Good stuff that I think more bass manufactures should look at. Next In line is the BAM210. I really liked the BAM, as it was significantly cheaper than the rest of these combos. It is in the $800-900 range brand new opposed to the $1200-$1300 for the SWR and Eden Amps. You can easily find the Peavey USED online for under $700. Anyway, I thought this was a great value for a combo. I think if I had more time to play around with all the modeling and effects on the amp I would have liked it more. This is one of those amps that I'm sure takes time to master, and for those people who don't like having great tone right out of the box, perhaps this isn't for you. I did enjoy playing with the amp and found it to have lots of possibilities, however, I didn't think it had the low-end presence and the volume to compete with eden and it didn't have the distinction that the swr had. This is also a Solid State Amp compared to Hybrid Amps in the SWR and the Eden. Great Amp, with a lot of tonal flexibility that will perhaps be great for someone who has the time to really play around with it, just in my opinion, not the best for me. The Fender Bassman 400. Well, I have nothing but good things to say about Fender Bass Amps. Sadly enough, my 2nd combo amp was a Fender BXR 200, which is on sale right now in the classified section. ::SHAMELESS PLUG:: They are great amps that are really reliable. I actually still like the sound of my bxr amp, however when I was out trying out new combos, I didn't myself liking the newer combos as much. The new Bassman series doesn't live up to the strong performance of its ancestor(the BXR Series). I played through the 15's, the 2-10's, and I didn't find one with much character. They have a lot of volume for the money, but they really aren't anything special these days. The Fender 400, seemed to be a good amp. It did all the basic functions that a bass amp is supposed to do, but I wasn't impressed with its tone. I still encourage you to try it out for yourself, but it wasn't my cup of tea. GK amps I played at the Local guitar Center as well. I will admit that I didn't play around with this amp that much, but I didn't like the idea of playing as much money for a GK amp and it not being a tube amp. I believe they are solid state amps and I didn't find anything that special to differentiate it from the Fender. So I hope my experience has helped you out a bit. I encourage you to make your own decision and to not bass(<--Subconscious freudian esk slip) your decision on what I say or anyone else says. You have to live with your decision of buying, but I know it helps to have people give you direction and independent reflections. Again, I hope I helped you with your decision by sharing some of my thoughts.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I prefer the Redhead, Metro, and Bassman 400 Pro.
  8. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    munji prefers eden. Now there's a big surprise.

(you knew his eden reccomendation it was coming);).

I just bought my GK 700RB 2 weeks ago. I've said it once and I'll say it again. This amp is loud!

As for tone it goes with your preference. I know for a fact that the eden and gk both have a good tone but you'll always get some guy who says he hates it (either a bad experience before or he hates the tone) or how this other amp will blow it out of the water.

My opinion, I love my gk 700rb! And I'm finding even more tones. It can take a bit before you get used to all the settings but for that gk growl! oh man! I know I made the right choice.

The GK has more head room. Also the GK is easier to transport. I found it really fast and punchy. And as I've said before I love that GK growl!
  9. For tone I'd go with the Metro.
  10. Thanks for all the info (esp. Poon.....egads man!) It's settled......going for the Metro. Got it at Bass Central.....$1299 new. Talked to Gard.......da' man hooked me up. I'll let you guys know with a follow up.
  11. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Glad I could help m8.
  12. junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    congrats! Now you get to choose extension cabs... :D

have fun!