Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10" combo owners help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 24, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How big gigs can you play with your 2x10" combo (Eden Metro, SWR Redhead, EBS Gorm, Peavey BAM etc) with and without PA?
    How loud will it go with a 4-string? Can it compete with a heavyhanded drummer on rehersals?

I will ad a powered extention cab later but at the moment the Gorm is all I can afford.

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hi Jock:

I'm playing rooms that hold 200-250 without PA support using a Nemesis NC210P. It works only because sound pressure levels are measured in clubs in Switzerland. Bars are licensed to certain db levels. The govt actually send out inspectors with meters to measure inside, outside, upstairs, down the street, etc. Club owners walk around with these meters and have no problem walking up to you and motioning to turn down. Despite that, you can get pretty loud under those limitations, and I can get away with 200 watts in these rooms.

The drummer I am working with these days is loud. He's the best I've worked with and he's the loudest. No need to mic him, other the kick. The guitarist is using a Soldano head with 2 1-12 Marshall speakers. The volume has a tendency to creep up during the night. I can honestly say that I have never run out of steam. Sure, I would love to have a 400 watt head and a 4-10 cabinet, but I can get away with my little combo. Do I need to upgrade? Honestly? No. Only GAS makes me me want spend unnecessarily.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. Ive heard about those dB laws. I think we will see that in Sweden soon too.

4. With decent PA, many, many, venues are possible w/my Super Redhead. Without PA and next to an enthusiastic drummer, only small scale gigs would work, not many outside (a lot depends on style of music & db). The SWRSR is a fantastic practice/rehearsal/studio amp but some gigs, especially w/o PA, require more boom (ext cab).