Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10 combo poll.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bleachstained, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Peavey Bam 210

13 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. SWR Super Redhead

47 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. bleachstained

bleachstained

Apr 22, 2001
    What would you spent your money on-the SWR Super Redhead Combo or the new Peavey Bam 210?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The brand most bassist love against the brand most bassists love to hate? This should be interesting.

Haven't tried either, so I can't comment.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As a teacher, I have often said, "There is no such thing as a stupid question." This is as close as it gets.

4. Choice #3, Eden Metro.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    #5 Matchless Thunderman 2x10" flip-top

...the Maltese Falcon, Holy Grail, Peace in the Middle East :)

6. bleachstained

bleachstained

Apr 22, 2001
    Good point with the Eden Metro-one question though, does it have external speaker jack.(Will be using with 1x15). If so the eden is an option too.(That's why fender bassman 400 is not an option-no xternal speacker jack)

I didn't think the Peavey looked half bad, any of you looked at it yet?

7. I was checking out the bassman 400 specs tonight on bassstreet.com and for the combo it says that there is a1/4 output speaker jack. Im wondering if it is a mistake or have they started adding that now. It seems like an oversight not to have it. That 210 sitting on top of a 115 cab would be quite impressive in my opinion. My music store has one in stock, im going to go down on tuesday (monday is a holiday here) and check it out, as the 210 combo is on my list of amps to check out for purchase. It probably would not be to hard to wire an extra jack into the speaker cab, just make sure the impediance is proper.
    eddie

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Yes, the Eden Metro has a 4 ohm external speaker jack. If you hook up a 4 ohm external speaker the amp will put out 600 watts.

9. Badenough

Badenough

Dec 30, 2000
    Oslo Norway
    I have used both SWR Read Head and Eden Metro for a while for smaller venues. They are actually both very good.
    I am now using an Aguilar 359 with Aguilar 2X10 cab for these gigs. (Will get Aguilar 1X12 cab too)Although the 359 is producing only 200w(pure tube power) it blows away both Eden and SWR. Better tone and volume. You get a jensen transformer DI as well.
    Add the extra money for the supreme quality.

10. bleachstained

bleachstained

Apr 22, 2001
    I appreciate recommending the aguilar but really I am only interested in the SWR,Eden or Peavey.(Possibly fender) It will just be easier for me in the long run to have a combo instead of head+cab.(Like taking it to college.)

How much power would the Eden(or any of the combos for that matter) put out to my cab since it is 8 ohm?

11. Badenough

Badenough

Dec 30, 2000
    Oslo Norway
    [QUOTE How much power would the Eden(or any of the combos for that matter) put out to my cab since it is 8 ohm? [/B][/QUOTE]

If you add one 8 Ohm cab you will get 400 watts out of the Eden Metro. I can understand your comment about the advatage of transporting it all in one unit. But I am a fan of modular systems.
    Still my experience with the product reliability of Eden is not good, but then others may have a different experience. One WT 500 and one WT 800 both died during gigs. Not good. It also took me a YEAR to have one element replaced in my 4X10 XLT.(Unfortunately I am not a resident of good old USA)

Anyway I hope you will find a combo that will provide what you need. Test them all several times if you are in doubt.

12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    #Best_Option : Carvin RC210

13. I'll second the carvin.

14. Why don't people like peavey amps?, i like them a lot, but it seems that not many other people do? why's that? :confused:

15. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Boxy, dull tone. Heavy. IMO

16. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I voted for the SWR, although you should check out the Metro (Eden) and the RC210 (carvin)

Why I don´t like Peavey???? Really bad sound, like if you´re playing inside a shoe box.

17. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    No one has mentioned the Nemesis 210. I own one. It has an external jack and pushes more than 400 watts with a 4 ohm cab hooked up. Great tone. Great Price. VERY portable.

Chas

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Peavey boxy sounding???

Hardly. I have several witnesses to the fact that my rig, which is all Peavey, is anything BUT bad sounding. Yes it's a bit heavy, but you can't have everything. Dirty Road Cola/Neal has seen me play live several times, and several of the TB members have purchased my band's CD, which I recorded by micing my Peavey rig.

I stand by my tone, it's Peavey and it's good.

As for your choices, you've left out an excellent one which several others mentioned: the Eden Metro - more flexible and powerful than the SWR SuperRedhead, less money. If I were buying a combo right now, that would be at the top of my list. Of course I haven't heard the Peavey BAM 210 yet either.

19. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    My friend has a Peavy and it sounds crapy. No highs, and an overall dull tone.

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    OK, but let's compare apples to apples, not kumquats to breadfruits, shall we?

WHAT Peavey did your friend have? As with all manufacturers, they make several lines of amps, some of which are not intended to be "pro" quality amps. If you're saying that a TNT 115 or a MicroBass combo didn't sound great, then fine, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Y'know the SWR Workingman's combos are not all that hot compared to their "pro" stuff, and the same can be said of the Nemesis vs. the Eden stuff....(of course it's better stuff than the low end Peavey, but remember the cheaper Peavey is REAL cheap stuff).