2x10 combo selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jure the second, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Hi.

I've been interested in buying a 2x10 combo for smaller gigs. There are quite a lot of options. I'd like some more info from users. Options:

Ashdown, Eden, Peavey BAM, Glockenglang, SWR, EBS, Warwick, Fender Bassman, Ampeg, Carvin,G&K, Genz-Benz, Hartke, Laney...

I'd like to know more about the sound and versality, I'll decide about the price later...

Thank you

2. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    You might try a Nemesis 210 combo.

Good sound.

Very portable.
  3. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Definitly, dont get a hartke. The speakers suck. I asked people about the B120 and they said Hartkes all around suck. I own the B30 and it is craps.

I'm lookin at the ampeg 220 watts 2x10. Sounds good. I want it. $700. Ampegs are awesome too.

Where can I find the nemesis combos online. I wanna see em. Everyone talks about em.
  4. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    What sort of bass do you use?

BTW, I'd reccomend the Gallien Krueger 2x10/RB400-III combo amp.
  5. I have a PV 210-TX which is the for runner to the BAM. I use it as my band practice rig and have used it for back line while running through the PA. Solid gear with a good company to back it up.
  6. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think the 210TX and the Bam are really related. They have different speakers, different cabs, and different pres, and I'm not sure about the tweeter. The only thing they have in common is the power amps.
  7. Great replies. Keep them coming. The basses are Alembic Orion 5 and a Jazz '78. I don't expect, that my future combo will withstand loud low notes of the 5-string, but i'd like to have as much versality as possible - possible use in the studio.

8. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
  9. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have/had a Carvin RC210, which is a fine combo. The cabinet leaves something to be desired although it improved greatly with a set of replacement speakers, (Eminence Kappa's)... I've since removed the head and am using it as a stand-alone with 2 1X15 cabs...

10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Try out an SWR Super Redhead. In my expierience, it holds a low B well. The Super Redhead is also great for studio work.
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I would think about getting seperate speaker and head combo! It will be lighter/easier to fit in small places and you can change the cab or head down the road if you change your mind...............just a thought;)
  12. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Aguilar 2x10 + pre of your choice and Peavey DPC 1400 power amp.
  13. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Try hard (E-Bay; GC) to find a discontinued
    Mesa Boogie Buster 2x10 Wedge-Only if you like BIG
    rich all-tube power & tone. 200 watts RMS into 2 EVM Basis 10" drivers- (6) 6L6GC power tubes,
    (3) 12AX7A preamp tubes. Heavy, cumbersome, basic, simple-
    There is no other combo that can even approach the headroom,volume, and tone that this way-to-cool for the room combo produces. Add a 15" (I use a matching EVM Diesel 15 cab) fawgeddaboudit!
    If you find one, expect it to run around 900-1000 NOS, or used maybe $700+.
    Not for everyone- But this was one of the hottest
    amps that Mesa or anyone ever designed- just a niche product that was not in the flow or trend, but whose performance exceeded (exceeds) anything else, IMO of course.
    MESA is also coming out with a 2x10 & 15" combo version of their M-Pulse amplification, very nice indeed.
  14. I second the Super Redhead. I've played it before and its amazing. It will be my next amp.