2x10 + head for $600 (u.s.)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UrbanAssault415, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Im looking for a nice lil set-up that could be a practice/gig rig
    i figured a 2x10 is the best since its compact yet can be decently loud+ still have alil thump. Im also lookin for a head with about 300w. Do any of u have any idea of what would be good for me that would cost around $600 u.s.

should i fix my current set up, its a cirrca 70 kustom bassIII (200w) and a cirrca peavey 15" cab. the speacker is dried and buzzes and the head after an 1/2-1 hour of playing starts to get buzzy. I really dont like the tone of the head tho and the cab weights a ton. So i dont think it would be useful 2 fix cuz of weght + bad tone.

ill shut up now and hear ur opinions. thx in advanced
  2. Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    Not a lot of money for a quality rig, even used. I'd say try to find a used 2X10 combo maybe. For a few hundred more, you might be able to get a decent used 2X10 and power amp, I just don't think $600 will get you what you need. Of course, you could get lucky. Maybe a Hartke 3500 and an older Goliath II jr. Hope you succeed!
  3. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    i was just like you a few years ago.

I bought the avatar 2x10 delta, all they had back then, and a peavey 300 watt head. I would say get an avatar 2x10 and maybe a ashdown head to go nicely, or one of those new hartke heads. Hartke cabs not so good, heads and combos just fine...thats been how i have felt.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Avatar- get the best 210 you can afford -with the special deal Ashdown Mag. Great rig.
  5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

+1 for the Avatar/Ashdown setup. It's a great price and enough to hit up small gigs with.
  6. im liking the avatar plus there website has a deal on an ashdown mag 300h for $268 so im goin 2 look into it. Im also looking at a hartke 3500 wich i know is good and a behringer ultrabass bb210 cab its 179 w/600w handling but i never read any reveiws so i dont know the quality and one have expereince with it?
  7. oh no!!!! i just read that the avatar sucks with 5-string and i hopping 2 get a 5-string after the summer. do ya guys still think its a good buy?
  8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You have to remember that the power rating on the cab really does not mean much. The efficency of the cab means a lot more, and I bet the Berhinger cab isn't too efficent. I've never tried Berhinger cabs (played through their combos but was disappointed) and I would think that if they are on par with other Berhinger gear I've used, its not too great.
  9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Its probabally better than other 210s in the same price range at the low B. However, you may want to consider their 212. Its a great cab as well.
  10. there 212 looks 2 big im lookin for sumthing i can take back an fourth from my house for practices.
  11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Well at lower volumes the 210 should handle the low B decently, but maybe you should get the 115 cab? It should be enough for practices...
  12. The Avatar 210 Neo will do the B string better than the Delta,plus it's lighter.Call Dave at Avatar and ask him what he thinks will work,he's very helpfull.Personally I think the 212 would be the best bet too if you are going to gig.The 210 wouldn't be loud enough all the time.
  13. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    If your Peavey has a BlackWidow or Scorpion speaker in it, you can put a new basket on it for $125 or less, and it's basically a new speaker. Otherwise drop in a good replacement for less than $150.

Spend the rest on a good used head.
  14. the 212 is to big it will be a fight to get it in my back seat it was a war to get my 15 in there. As of now in not giging but do ya think the 210 could handle a show or 2 if it need 2. its mostly goin 2 be for my house and practice/jamin.

p.s.- sry if im bein stuborn
  15. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Go the Avatar site and check out the 210 Neo or the 212. They have an Ashdown Mag head for less than $300 bucks. You could do the 212 and the Ashdown for under $600 shipped.

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you put the 15 under it, the 210 should do fine for shows.
  17. ya i was thinking about that for the future but i desided im going to call avatar and look into the 210 neo with the ashdown but im alittle weirded out about buying somthing i havent played. No one seems 2 carry ashdown around the tri-state area. i dont wana make the mistake of getting something i dont want.
  18. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

You could always pick up a used Peavey Nitrobass. I picked up a used 3 yr. old Nitrobass for $140 off of Evilbay. It's a bit banged up looking, but works great. it's a no brainer.
  19. +1 for used peavey stuff off evil bay
  20. tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005
    My budget amp experience:

Amp: Ampeg B2R, $376 used with shipping
    Cabinet: Avatar B210 NEO, $278 new with shipping
    Total: $658.00

Waiting for the cabinet to arrive so I can try out how that sounds, but I wrote a detailed B2R review a few weeks ago that you should be able to search for.

I was considering the Ashdown until I played the B2R with a band and had a blast with it. I couldn't find an Ashdown dealer near me, but I liked the B2R so much, I wasn't considering anything other than the Mesa Walkabout after that (and that's $600 by itself).

There's something to be said for buying a cabinet new. Hard to tell by looking at a cabinet what type of shape it is in. I went with Avatar's B210 NEO instead of the DELTA because the NEO goes lower

My goal was $600, and it was shipping that put me over that. I was going to bite the bullet and go with a B212 to have more low end, but then I couldn't think of a gigging bass player I know that wasn't using a 2x10 for gigs or rehearsal, and the B210 seems to be Avatars "famous" cab.

Good luck!