1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2x10" midrange speakers and no horn?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jsa0100, Aug 4, 2012.

1. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    What do you think about using a 2x15" cabinet and two 10" speakers for midrange and no horn?

I have got hold of two peavey 10" scorpion speakers and are wondering if i should combine them with a horn with passiv crossover or not.

2. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    Scorpions handle more than enough top end where you do not need a horn.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I never wanted on horn on my old SvT fridge... Don't want horns on my micro 1x10 cabs either... Some folks will miss the sizzle. Full time fretless guys seems to like a lot of the really way up there high end you can only get from a good horn. Me, I couldn't care less...

I will say that I'd rather lug a single good 6.5 crossed properly than 2 10's though. Unless that 15 is a true sub, there is considerable overlap between the 10's and the 15 so there is also a lot of useless size and weight in that sort of design.

I have a 2x15 build using 3015's in progress. They have enough mids for my taste on axis. Off axis they will lose some however I'll only be using it on stages where I have serious FOH support so the off axis is much less important to me there. For the most part I expect it to be used as bass rig but in a side fill position. The take away being that with the right 15's you might not need the mid driver ... Depending on the tone you are looking for of course.

4. You will probably have to roll your own passive crossover.
    The intended project will most likely be 4 ohms and 4 ohms.

5. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    Usually i think a single 15" is OK. but it get a little dark some times. You are absolutely right about dispersion, it's important. One think i have noticed is that many 6,5" speakers have a lower efficiency, usually around 95-97 db.But it might not be a problem.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Granted I'm not looking for a Chris Squire kind of sound. I do want clarity and definition though. The 18Sound and B&C 6.5's are pretty efficient... I used the Alpha and AlphaLite in my 12.6 cabs. Less efficient and I still had to pad the mid down to get where I wanted to be,

The Eminence 3015 is not a speaker I would describe as dark at all.

7. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I thought it was a bass amp: does one ever need a horn?:bag: