Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10 or 1x15 for Hartke 3500 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shocktone, Jul 1, 2001.

1. shocktone

shocktone

Jul 1, 2001
    I just bought a real cheap Hartke 3500. First I wanted to buy that really cheap 4x10 SWR cab also, but when I tried to lift it....Forget it...

I would like a cheap cabinet which I can carry around.

1. 2x10 or 1x15?
    Will the 2x10 deliver enough low end.
    Or should I go for a 1x15 ? I know its best to combine those two, but I have to buy just one first.
    My style is 70ths Funk,Soul,Disco. So Im actually making "Dance" music and need some deep bottom. But Im also playing Jaco Style 16ths lines alot so I need definition.
    What do you guys think?

2. The only affordable option I found at the moment is the new Peavy line. What do you think about those cabs?
    People told me not to buy Hartke, cause they sound kinda cold and sterile. Should I wait for a used SWR, Mesa Boogie, G&K ? (pretty hard to get used cabs in Germany)

Thanks alot guys !

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Hi Shock

No a 2x10 wont give you the bottom end you want, and a 1x15 probobly wont give you the definition you want either, I am in a band similar to yours, and I use a 4x10 cab and it gets me by just fine, its a good balance between deep low end and the clarity you want so you can hear the distinction in those 16th note Jaco type lines. My advice to you would to be to find a lighter weight 4x10 cab and use that, a hand truck or casters dont hurt much either.

But if your really sold on either a 2x10 or 1x15 then, Id recomend with the 1x15. They can usually handle more power than 2x10's, get the lows that you want, but dont have the clarity of 2 or 4x10's imo.

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I use my Hartke 3500 with a Bag End 1x15 (S-15D). I think it sounds killer, plus the Bag End is light (45 lbs, I think) and relatively cheap new (you can get 'em for under $400). To my ears, the Bag End gives plenty of highs and plenty of definition. There is also a version with a tweeter (S-15DX) which is a bit heavier and more expensive.