Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10" or 1x15"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shkinnyBOB, Mar 31, 2001.

1. I currently own a Peavey TNT 130 from the early 80's with a 15" speaker. I am looking to get a newer amp because this one doesn't seem to have the power or tone as some of the newer amps with the same wattage. I am looking into either getting a combo with 2 10" or a newer 15" combo. We mainly play outdoor gigs at parties and such with anywhere from 100 to 300 people. Any suggestions are welcome.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Carvin's RC210... 'nuff said

-robert

3. If you're going to have access to a PA (for outdoor shows, I'll assume you will), a 2x10 will be better because you'll be able to go direct, so you can just use the 2x10--which is MUCH louder onstage--as a monitor. If there's no PA, a 1x15 might be better, since it'll hit the people in the audience with more low end. However, to sound good out front, you'll be muddy as hell onstage.

Really, it's better to take the 2x10 route, and then get a 1x15 extension cabinet later for more volume and versatility.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There was a time when the rule was a lot more simple...1x15 gave you more lows and less highs, where a 2x10 gave you more punch and highs, but less lows. Now, I'm not so sure. Case in point...

The EA 2x10 goes incredibly low for a 2x10, and is incredibly full in range! I mean, when I heard this thing, I was really impressed by its tone and even moreso by its range!

Conversely, a cabinet I'm unfortunately not as familiar with is the Bag End 1x15. The folks over at Bass NW SWEAR this cab is as bright and punchy as anything, and sounds great as a stand-alone.

Therefore, I think you're best off taking your bass around to different stores and try out different combinations. You might be surprised at what you find!