Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10 or 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockgurl, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    I'm hoping to buy a Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II head, and was wondering what you guys thought I should get as a cab....either the 2x10 or the 1x15? I play funky stuff and we're not too horrendously loud, but I'm looking for clarity and warmth. I do have a back issue and am struggling with my current amp which weighs 69lbs, and that's why i considered the 1x15. What's the difference and will the ohms matter?

2. Please no one shoot flaming arrows at me or anything, just going on my own experience in my 4 years of playing. I have not ever used GK stuff, so i am generalizing some of this.

2x10s give a clearer (more balenced IMO) sound than a 15. 15s generally give good lows but some can be lackin in the mids and highs department. personally i prefer the 10s over 15s for their clarity.

As far as the impendence question goes, yes the ohms do matter. the lower the ohms are, the more power they speakers will pull from your amp.

For example, if you plug a 8 ohm cab in my amp, you only get 600 watts, but plug a 4 ohm load into it, and i get 830.

GK makes combos with that head and either of those speaker configurations. I believe the combo has telescoping handle and casters for easy moving(Im not sure if this applies to the 700 amp combo or the 1001 powered combo).

Wait a day and youll have many opinions from others more knowledgable than me with more experience with the equipment your looking at.

In short, to answer your question, to me it sounds as if the 15 might be a bit more up your alley if you want lots of warmth.

good luck

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yo what up my ct pal............ ;)
    don't box yourself into just GK cabs if possible. try as many as you can and decide for yourself what you like. you may or may not notice a difference with an 8 ohm or 4 ohm cabint. i would tend to advocate an d8 ohm cabinet as if you want more volume in the future you can always add another one. Depending upon where you are in CT i can always give you a hand trying out stuff. let me know where & when SF is playing, i keep meaning to check them/you out.

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I agree with the above statement, but IMHO a 210 on a 115 would give you more "Range"

5. I think the 2x10+1x15 is a good way to go, but you have to try BOTH cabinets on your amp head at the same time, especially if you aren't biamping, or buying cabs made by the same manufacturer. One cab could be more efficient, making it louder, and vice-versa.
    If you were biamping, that wouldn't be a big problem as you could turn one up or down, but if you had that problem with a single output amp, you'd be stuck.

Mag...

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    210+115 is a great combo, covers all the basses (pun intended) tonally, pushes some good volume. I'd go for that if I were you, but as others have said, try out both cabs with your head at once before you buy.

7. +1. :)

8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Check out these pics.

700RBII with Aguilar GS112

Rack rig with cabs

I have used my 700RBII with all 3 cabs and Highly recommend all of them.

The Aguilar and the Bag End are both 8 ohm cabs and the Eden is a 4 ohm. To get the most juice out of the GK get a 4 ohm cab but understand this...the minimum -ohms- you can have with the amp is 4. That means if you get the 4 ohm cab you will not be able to use another cab with it. If you get an 8 ohm cab you WILL be able to add another cab to you rig should you so choose.

Now as far as weight goes...you should look at a cab with Neodymium speakers. They are much lighter than regular speakers.

Look here for a couple on sale.

Hope this helped.

:)

Joe.

9. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    Thank you all very much for your input. You've all been very helpful. Hi IvanMike! :D We're playing at Toad's Place in NH this Thursday, then NYC and then off to California in a few weeks...busy, busy! I've pretty much set my heart on a GK but hadn't decided on the size cab. Joe has made up my mind for me as I love the idea of the Neo115. I am going to go and check one of those out. Thanks again Joe for the info about the Ohms. That will be very useful should I decide to add another cab in the future. Right now I'm looking at just one. I'll let you know what I get!

10. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    IMO if you want a scaleable rig, you want definition (particularly in the band context you mentioned), and you want decent lows, you can't do better than an Eden D-210XLT. Fantastic efficient cab capable of super crunchy mids, plenty of highs, and best lows of any other 210 cab out there. Go for the 8 ohm model, and you can later scale up to another 210XLT or 15 if you need it. The sound of stacked 210XLTs is just phenomenal in a loud band. Oh...and buy used if you can find them!

11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Glad to help.

Good luck on the tour and let us know how your new gear will be working out!

Joe.

12. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    This talk about 15's got me to reminiscing about how great those Sunn 2x15 cabinets used to sound. If you were standing right in front of it and hit a solid "E" string on " Purple Haze" or "Won't Get Fooled Again" or maybe the Creedence version of "Good Golly Miss Molly" they would vibrate your guts right down to your lower bowels. I haven't used 15's for many years, but maybe it's time to think about getting one. :eek:

13. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Hey Joe

As you must know, 15's are The S**t!

Out of all my cabs past and present my 115 is my favorite and I have to constantly fight the urge to buy a second.

I know I will eventually lose that battle.

Joe.

14. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I too want to try a 2nd 15 cab with my present SWR SOB 15". I usually add my SWR Goli III 4x10 cab for bigger rooms. I would like to get another 15 cab, as it would be lighter and more compact than my 4x10 cab and I think I would like the sound too. Thinking either another SOB 15" or a 15" avatar. As a lesser choice the SWR Workingman 15 cab. Looking only to spend about $250 or so.

15. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Cool!

Try it out and let us know what you think about it!

Joe.