1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2x10" or 4x10" as a standalone cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bonus, Oct 25, 2006.

1. bonus

bonus

Sep 11, 2006
    Croatia
    hi everyone!
    This is my first post to this forum! :hyper:
    I need a cabinet for my ashdown mag300h. Mostly small to medium sized gigs with no PA support.
    The weight isn't important to me but i need something compact for transport.
    For example, eden 210xst and ashdown abm410t, power is almost the same and same sensitivity.So,is it possible that 2x10" cabinet can be loud as a 4x10" or 410 simply push much air then 210 and because of that it's louder?
    I haven't chance to try those types of cabinets so I'm asking for advice.
    Thanks!

2. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    Just off personal experience, i'd go with the 4x10, they just seem to have better tonal properties than a 2x10. If you're worried about getting to loud, you can always cut the volume back at the head a bit. I've used my big Hartke rig at 50-person venues with the 4.5XL cab, just because you have more speakers doens't mean you have to crank the volume up.

3. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    If at all possible, I'd suggest trying both..... personal preferences and all.

Given that your head is rated at 307 W into 4 ohms, I'd recommend getting a 4 ohm cabinet if you are only going to use one. Paired with 500W, one 4 ohm D210XST has been sufficient for most of the small to medium venues where I perform. In fact, I'm going to be bringing it out tonight.....

4. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's possible you'd get a little more from the Ashdown because of the extra cone surface area, but in my experience, Eden 210 cabs are as loud as other brand's 410's. I'm very happy with my 210XST's output, and the tone is the most accurate I've heard. Their 210XLT sounds a little louder because of the low-mid hump, but the XST has smooth extended lows to 30Hz - better than any 15 I've used.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021