2x10 plus 1x15...i put the 10's on the bottom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ERIC31, Jul 15, 2005.

1. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Does anyone else besides me set up their rig like this? 1x15 on top, 2x10 on the bottom. I like it that way, sounds good and looks cool to me. I've always marched to my own drummer anyway!!! LOL :bassist: :bassist:
  2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Sounds cool, I should prob try it next time I need to push some db's. I always thought the folk wisdom was to have the 15 on the bottom to project the low freq bass a little better. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
  3. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    that's true
  4. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I usually put whatever comes off the trailer on the bottom and the next one on top. I have a 1-15, 2-10, and 4-10. I only use them two at a time for a 4 ohm load. I've never noticed any real difference in sound, 40 feet away.

If you play standing in front of your amp, it might make a difference to your ears. I don't stand there. I listen to myself through the monitor system.

(I wander over in front of the amp occasionally to feel the thrust)

Confidence builder. :help:
  5. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I would place the 1x15 on the bottom so that the low end can be felt in the floor. The 2x10's definition will be more effective closer to your head, too. That said, if you like your set-up: ROCK ON!
  6. cirwin

May 2, 2005
    Which ever cab is on the floor will project more low freq. (That's physics.) As to the reality - what sounds good to you? Are you biamping or sending full range signal to both cabs? If biamping, what's your cross-over point? And - most important question - what sounds good to you? If your answer is "I like the 2x10 under the 1x15", then that's the way to go no matter what anybody says.
  7. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yes, I do too.

Sounds MUCH better no matter what common knowledge dictates!

Yeah Baby!

8. SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    I put my 2x10 under my 1x15, but I'm pretty much forced to. I use a Trace 1x15 combo amp and a Trace 2x10 extension cab. The extension cab has a larger footprint than the combo amp and I like having the controls of the amp up higher. Sometimes, I will run them side by side, but I normally prefer them stacked.
  9. cirwin

May 2, 2005
    "Sounds MUCH better no matter what common knowledge dictates!"

Common knowledge is much like common sense: To be taken with a LARGE grain of salt. What is really is is a MIS-application from one field to another. (I've been a bass player for 35+ yrs, sound engineer for 25+ yrs.)

In PA work, you want your bass bins on the bottom, coupling the low freq. with the ground and your mid-range and hi-freq drivers up where they will fire out over the audience, otherwise the hi-freq will be absorbed by the front row of the crowd. But that's PA stuff, not MI (Musical Instruments). It's kinda like applying tractor-trailer issues to sports cars.

Most 2x10's are designed to sit on the floor. The small speaker cone area and small box size are meant utilize the floor/surface coupling to help the lo-freq efficiency and distribution. A large cone - 15" or 18" - is more efficient in reproducing lo-freq due to the increase cone area and the larger box size. If you are running the two cabs full-range, then a good arguement can be made that 2x10's under 15" is the way to go. (If you're bi-amping, I've put the 2x10's on top.) Remember, however, that the 15" or 18" doesn't have the upper mid/hi-freq response of the 2x10. With the 2x10 on the floor, it may sound great to you on stage, but muddier out in the room due to hi-freq adsorbtion. (Note the word "may" - this is something to be considered not an inevitable statement of fact.)

BUT: I repeat what I said in my earlier post. If it sounds better to you in what ever configuration, than it's ok. The physics explains WHAT'S going on, not whether it's "good".

Interesting experiment: if you have two 2x10 and an A/B box, put them side-by-side with one up on a couple of milk crates and switch back and forward between them. We used to do it using pink noise.
  10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

11. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I understand that's Jim Bergantino's recommendation for the HT210 and HT115.
  12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    If my 1-15 box had NO tweeter I'd probably opt to put it on the bottom, since I like my tone with some highs and near my ear level.
  13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I normally stack the 2-10" on top, but this weekend I played a boomy-sounding room. Putting the 1-15" on top helped me to hear myself better. :cool:
  14. cirwin

May 2, 2005
    Yes, I can imagine it would. This is where knowing something about the physics comes in handy. Usually, I put my 2x10 long side on the floor to get the most bass coupling. But in a boomy room, I'll stand it on end (one spkr near floor, other in air) or even put in on a milk-crate (if the room or stage is extremely boomy.) IF there is a large drum riser, I'll put the cab on the riser so that it couples (for low freq) but is a bit closer to my ear level (so I hear the upper-mids a little better.) If there is a corner on the stage, putting the cab in the corner will increase the low end coupling even more, since you have coupling with the floor AND the wall. Make the physics work for you!