Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2X10 plus a 1X15. How much amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RobOtto, Aug 15, 2002.

1. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    I recently started jamming with a loud as hell drummer and my 1X12 combo wasn't cutting it so I decided to upgrade. I purchased a Genz Benz 2x10 and a Hartke 1X15 to keep up. I have yet to purchase an amp for them and was looking for suggestions on how much push I need. The 2x10 is rated at 250watts RMS at 8ohms and the 1x15 is 180watts at 8 ohms.

I don't understand about "daisychaining" or how to hook the whole setup together and I'm having trouble finding a good walkthrough/tutorial. Both of the amps seem to have 2 inputs on the back and the Genz Benz has a nob that changes frequency or something like that. :confused: Any help would be much appreciated or a link to a good demo would be even better.

I am not elctronically or musically educated so keep that in mind. No offense will be taken if you oversimplify.

Thanks,

Bob Otto

2. ok, well the wattage on the back of the amps is basically what they can SAFELY handle at a continuous steam. For example, my 210 is rated at 200watts RMS, and my amp puts out 200 watts at 8ohms (one cab is 8 ohms) if u add another cab of 8 ohms, then your total power comes down to 4 ohms. Most amps put out there full power at 4 ohms. my amp puts out 350watts at 4 ohms rather then the 200w at 8 ohms. don't think that your cabs can't take 350w though, its splits the wattage between the cabs, and so i'm actually putting only about 175w though each cab, so realistically i could be runing a 500 watt amp.

i think that a 350watt amp should do u fine, i run my Ampeg SVT 210 and 115 with an Ampeg B2R (350w) with no problems
    with regards to hooking it all up, run one speaker cable from you amp head into the first cab, then another speaker cable from that cab to the next (this is known as daisychaining)
    and make sure they are proper speaker cables!!!!

hope this helps

*Si*

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    You may want to consider a "Bi Amp". This is a head which actually has two amps in it. Popular choices are the SWR SM400/500 (150 watts per side@ 8ohms) and the Hartke HA5000 (170 watts per side@ 8ohms) The built in crossover will allow you to send the low freq's to the 15, and the highs to the 10's :D Works for me! :D

4. If RobOtto bought a cab that ran at 400w@4ohms and hooked up both speakers, what would happen?

Would each cab receive 200w@8ohms? Would the 1x15 blow as it exceeds it's maximum?

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    He would probably be ok as long as he carefully controls the volume knob. Remember, the wattage is a variable, and as long as the head and cabs are close in capacity, there should be no problem. In fact, many people here prefer to have more amp wattage than speaker capacity to avoid clipping :eek:

6. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Well just as an update I went ahead and purchased a Hartke 3500 which is 350 watts @ 4 Ohms. I'm pretty sure that means that if I daisy chain my amps I get 170 watts into each cab which should be plenty of punch for now.

I looked at some biamps but they were all a little pricey and I had all sorts of trouble finding quality bass gear in Denton, Texas even though we are supposed to have one of the premier Music schools in the country.

Well thanks everyone for the info and advice, I'll be around in the forums asking many more questions I am sure.