Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ohmanohjeeze, Jul 3, 2002.

1. ohmanohjeeze

ohmanohjeeze

May 6, 2001
    tucson, az
    Okay, so I'm in a bit a financial pickle, I bought the Nemesis NA-600 used a little while ago, because I figured 450 flat was a good deal for me.I have yet to buy a cabinet, and right now all I have is my ampeg b100r. I'm think about buying a 2x10, and a 4x10 later. I had my hopes for an ampeg svt610hlf for 700 bucks, I realize that if I were to buy a 2x10 and a 4x10 later it will come out to more, but my b100r, as much as I love it, cannot compete with 2 4x12s. I'm just curious as to how a 2x10 can hand low frequencys, and if I were indeed to get one, would 200 watts make that much of a difference? Or should just be patient and save some dough for the 610 (with my financial situation it will be quite a while). Any suggestions or opinions or rants or attacks or anything are appreciated.

2. ohmanohjeeze

ohmanohjeeze

May 6, 2001
    tucson, az
    Figured I'd ask if mixing cabs is a bad idea as well, say like an swr 2x10 and an ampeg 4x10 ( just an example) ????

3. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i just got an swr jr. goliath III (2X10). so far, i'm pretty happy with it. on most gigs, i've been using it by itself. i think the cab sounds good as long as i don't turn up too loud.

when i play outside gigs or larger rooms, i've been adding my hartke 15" cab. i don't think it is a huge deal to "mix cabs".

4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but if cheap is the object,go with a Carvin 4x10 Not really hi-fi, but definitely functional It's cheaper than most "Name brand" 2x10's out there,and if you blow the speakers,you can order new ones from them. A single 2x10 won't give you enough lows unless you spend $$$ and get a Eden,Bergantino,etc...All of this IMO of course ;)