1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2x10 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ohmanohjeeze, Jul 3, 2002.

1. ohmanohjeeze

ohmanohjeeze

May 6, 2001
    tucson, az
    Okay, so I'm in a bit a financial pickle, I bought the Nemesis NA-600 used a little while ago, because I figured 450 flat was a good deal for me.I have yet to buy a cabinet, and right now all I have is my ampeg b100r. I'm think about buying a 2x10, and a 4x10 later. I had my hopes for an ampeg svt610hlf for 700 bucks, I realize that if I were to buy a 2x10 and a 4x10 later it will come out to more, but my b100r, as much as I love it, cannot compete with 2 4x12s. I'm just curious as to how a 2x10 can hand low frequencys, and if I were indeed to get one, would 200 watts make that much of a difference? Or should just be patient and save some dough for the 610 (with my financial situation it will be quite a while). Any suggestions or opinions or rants or attacks or anything are appreciated.

2. ohmanohjeeze

ohmanohjeeze

May 6, 2001
    tucson, az
    Figured I'd ask if mixing cabs is a bad idea as well, say like an swr 2x10 and an ampeg 4x10 ( just an example) ????

3. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i just got an swr jr. goliath III (2X10). so far, i'm pretty happy with it. on most gigs, i've been using it by itself. i think the cab sounds good as long as i don't turn up too loud.

when i play outside gigs or larger rooms, i've been adding my hartke 15" cab. i don't think it is a huge deal to "mix cabs".

4. Tritone

Tritone Gold Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but if cheap is the object,go with a Carvin 4x10 Not really hi-fi, but definitely functional It's cheaper than most "Name brand" 2x10's out there,and if you blow the speakers,you can order new ones from them. A single 2x10 won't give you enough lows unless you spend $$$ and get a Eden,Bergantino,etc...All of this IMO of course ;)