Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10 Recomendation's.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Jul 23, 2005.

1. I have an Ashdown mag 300 head and mag 410 cab. I recently moved both of these to my drummers apartment, Which was a hell of alot harder than I though it would. I live in New York, In Queens and my drummer lives in lower Manhattan. Taking the subway with that thing on a cart was way too much.

I need you guys to recomend me some good 2x10 that will go with my amp, Which is 4 ohms, The 4x10 was 8 ohms and appartently that doesnt match and I was only using about half the amps power, I'm an idiot when it comes to impadence and what not so if any of you have any good sites or could explain it to me here would be cool. I plan on trading in the 410 but, that will probably only be worth 250-275 (new its 299.99)since its basically brand new (almost two months old).

I dont want to spend more than 450-550 bucks on two 2x10's. But if theres a 2x10 or 2x12 that can handle 300 watts (besides that behringer one) please point it out to me.
    i dont care if i go used either, I just need something more portable then this damn 4x10 for now, since I dont have a car and my only source of transportation is the subway, bus and taxi. All useful input would be quite helpful.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have the same head... Three things...

First, at 8 ohms you're getting about 180 watts which can be surprisingly loud through four tens... the difference between 4 and 8 ohms isn't that great. It's much more about the surface area at this point, and generally a 4X10 running at 8 ohms will yeild more oomph than a 2X10 running at 4... Not as portable though :)

Second, think about a smallish 1X15, maybe with casters, (just think about it :) )... It would compliment your 4X10 nicely when paired and give you the four ohms... I use mine with a single, very efficient cab that I built myself and it sounds great. Weighs in at less than 50 lbs. When I use it with both cabs, it roars!

Third, I don't know where you plan on trading, but plan on getting a lot less than you'd expect for your cab. Music stores are a business, and they'll typically value your gear low and then offer half, (or less), of what they think they can get for it. If you are set on trading, my experience has been that the store will more readily trade your gear for used gear, (and you'll get better value on your trade)...

Finally, just about everyone on this site lauds the Avatar cabs as a great value. I have never played them, but there are plenty of bytes devoted to their value. I'm certain that someone will be along shortly to confirm this...

-robert

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You want two 210's for $550 total? Looks like it is Avatar for you.

You could score a nice used Epifani, EA, or Bergantino 210 for $550 or so. I even saw an Epi 310 for around that price not too long ago on bassgear.

-Mike

4. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    as the above poster mentioned, avatar would fit your price range. the avatar neo 2x10 handles 600 watts, and the avatar pro 2x10 handles 1000 watts...

5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Heres a great thread that explains ohms and impedance ...I was an impedence idiot for a long time too, but its really not that confusing once you understand it.

Avatar speakers seem to be a great value and quality...they get tons of praise around here. I have no experience w/ them personally- but would try them on reputation alone if I was shopping in that price range.

Another option is Dr.Bass cabs, similar in price and quality to avatar. Do a search- theres alot of info on here.

The Genz Benz 210t-xb2 is pretty awesome too. Great low-end punch for a 210. Its rated 350w...but it might be heavier than you want. Its around 70lbs.

FWIW, I just got a used Bag End s15-d for $350. 44lbs, very compact, and it sounds amazing!! It has a suprisingly full range, and its ultra fast and responsive for a 15. It actually sounds better than alot of 210's I've played. I'm actually getting rid my 210/15 genz benz rig to get another one to throw on top of it. Except I'm getting the S15x-d w/ the coax tweeter. New they're around the 600-700 range, but you can pick one used for pretty good deal.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    My Bag End rD10D-X rocks. Bassnw (not real convenient to NYC) has a couple of the BE 2x10's in their used GFS. It's a small box 2x10 with a coax mounted tweeter and it's a very cool, small cab. It is not light though. Not terribly heavy, but not light!

Typical used ricing in the $350 range if you;re buying here. A store will be a bit higher as Bassnw is.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just saw in the for sale section that there's an Eden Nemesis 210 combo for $500 shipped. That thing is such a great little rig for your situation.

8. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    +1

9. Thanks for the input, Ill be checking the Avatar's out.

10. Boom Belly

Boom Belly

Jul 20, 2005
    I just bought the SWR Goliath III Jr. for $735.00 Cdn

Played it Saturday at a gig and it was all I needed.

I highly recommend it.

(Think I'll buy the Son of Bertha 15" just to give it some low end)