2x10 Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lefthandbass17, Feb 13, 2005.

1. I'm working on phasing out my combo for a rack setup and so far I've got a furman power conditioner powering a Peavey T.B. Raxx preamp and a BBE 422a sonic maximizer going into my combo. I'm planning on getting a Carvin dcm1000 power amp and a DBX 166 compressor. I play anything that sounds good from rock to jazz to funk and pop. For a cab I was looking for a 2x10 and 1x15 setup but the 2x10 is what i'm getting first. I was looking at peavey and carvin and wanted to know if those would be good for my application. I want to buy a new cabinet and I want to spend at most 400 dollars. Any Suggestions?

Oh yeah, I play a Fender Standard Jazz bass soon to have bartolini pickups, if that makes a difference.
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hmm...using that carvin dcm1000 power amp you'll be able to use a 4 ohm 210 cab on one side of the power amp and a 4 ohm 15 cab on the other side. Lot's of choices besides Peavey and Carvin. Like SWR maybe?
    SWR 210 cabs cheap
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Used Edens go for cheap nowadays. They have a signature sound some might not like, but I think it would go well with the music you play. Also check out Eden's cheaper Nemesis line.

Ashdown can be had quite cheap, too. It, too, accents the mids to get a growly sound.

There's also Jörg Schroeder's 1210, with which you can go the "single light-weight cab" route. I have one and it sounds quite right. Also, Jörg is very helpful and a great guy to deal with! :)
  4. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Avatar cabinets received some praise here last year. Though I've not heard them, they are well within your price range, and the 2x10 and 1x15 are a stackable set IIRC.

Carvin's new (improved) bass cabs (BRX series) do not include a 2x10. The old RL210T is still available, at $229 I think. It received some less than glowing reviews here, although there were a few folks who liked it. The BRX 212 is larger (83 lbs!) and $449.

I had a Peavey TNT 115. I liked it, especially with an EA VL210 on top, but you'll need a truck with considerable towing capacity to haul it. :D

Acme lowB2s are nice, affordable, and I often use a pair of them. One B2 is a joy to practice through, but needs PA support in a loud band. A pair of B2s sounds to my ears like a 2x15+2x10 stack, only not quite as loud. If you went with these, you might need to move up to the DCM1500 (also a 2-space amp).

I think you're wise to be looking at $400 cabs. When you buy cheaper, you buy often.
  5. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i love my eden 210xst i use it as a standalone half teh time and its nice and thick, and low. great for that satisfying rock sound IMO
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you are sticking to the new thing, the 2x10 thing, and to the under $400 thing, then I would suggest Dr. Bass or Low Down Sound.
  7. buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Either Avatar or Dr Bass would be your best bet for a new cab. I've used both & they're great. Avatar has a higher power (700 watts rms), Dr Bass is 500 watts rms. Avatar has carpet, Dr Bass has a tough rhino-like finish.

8. Thanks for the replies, I guess I was being ignorant, I've heard alot of people suggest avatar on other threads and decided that since I've never heard of them, I would never even think about buying from them. I went on their website after the replies to this thread and read all the good reviews. I don't think anyone said anything bad! And when I looked at the price, my jaw literally dropped. That's when I decided on the b210pro as my 2x10 choice. And it's under 300 dollars. I'm in heaven. I hope it sounds as good as everyone says. Then I'll know where I'll be purchasing my 1x15 from.