Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10/tweeter combo + 1x12 geetar combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I've asked this before, but got no answer. So I'm asking again, but with a few revisions.

I have an Ampeg 2x10/tweeter combo, and it's low end is punchy and agressive. I love it. But the mids/high end seem to be lacking, so I'm thinking about a lush 12 to do accompany it. Except, I could get a 112 guitar combo easily, and for much cheaper than I could find a 12 combo. I'd run out of the line out on the bass combo to the guitar combo, maybe with some signal boostage inbetween, and cut the lows on the guitar amp.

Would this work?
    Would it even sound good?
    What's a good brand for the job?

2. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Sure it would work...try to use an instrument level feed for the guitar amp...

Does your amp have an fx loop? If so, is it before or after the eq? If after, you might want to split your signal before the amps with an amp switcher (as long as you can have both on too).

Rolling off the lows in the guitar amp is a good idea.

Your ears will have to decide if it sounds good or not. It has the potential to.

If you do it and the sound is funny (thin), you might have to reverse the phase of the guitar speaker connection (I picked it because the connection would be the easiest to access with an open back combo). There is no guarantee that the input and output of each amp is in phase.

Even if it sounds good, you might want to reverse the phase of the guitar speaker just to see if there is a difference...

Brands? How about something that has better resalve value...a Marshall or Fender? If you get a guitar amp with on-board effects (chorus, reverb, etc.) it might would quite good. If you can, borrow a guitar amp or buy one from a store that allows you to return it if you're not happy with it (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc.).

Keep us posted!!!!

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Are you a geetar player? if so you'll like the sound. if your EVER wanting bass from that setup you'll be disappointed and probably blow the geetar combo's speaker. find a nice bass 112 like the aguilar gs-112 can power it with the ampeg if you can, if not get a head to go with it!