Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10 vs 2x12 vs 1x15 vs 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spots, Jan 2, 2005.

1. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    Firstly, I''m sorry if this is a stupid question. I am a complete amplifier/cabinet noob.

What are the sonic differences between these different types of bass cabs? Not concerning specific brands...

I'm looking into purchasing an avatar cabinet sometime in the future and I only want to buy one. I play 5 string and want to be able to cover all styles (jazz,funk,rock,reggae...) except really hard rock like metal or grindcore. This cab would be for my first year of college this fall.

Today I tried out a 2x10 and really liked the sound of it but I felt that if I had cranked it up it wouldn't have been able to handle the low B. I rarely play that string however.

I dont own an amp but im looking at the GK400RB-IV.

So to get back to my question... Which cab would cover the range of the bass well from the occasional low B to some solo work in the higher registers without being muddy or twangy? Do any of these cabs fit the bill alone or must they be mixed to cover the basses range effectively?

Thanks for the help.

p.s. unrelated question. can a 2x10 be stood up on its side verticallyduring a gig or would that compromise the cabinet?

2. if your going avatar and need the best out of your B string when needed, go with the 2X12. However other Company's 210 can handle a B string perfectly. All you'd have to do is look used.

3. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    bump
    any thoughts bout this at all? im really curious

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I found all kinds of answers to your questions by using the search feature. I didn't have to sit here online bumping a thread waiting for someone to hand feed me the info either.

-Mike

5. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    I have done many searches before on the topic from which I've gleaned that a 2x10 is punchier and better for mids while 1x12s and 1x15 are better for the low end. i know about the search feature but I wanted some reponses from people of a similar playing style, situation, amp/cab combo to give me a few tips from the field. (isn't that what a message board is about?) Also I would not bump my own thread unless i needed answers quickly and I do becauseI might need to make a decision on a cab very soon.
    Your judgement of me was a bit harsh.

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I don't know much about the Avatar cabinets. But the Epifani or Bergantino 2x10's would more than handle the types of music you listed and sound wonderful with a strong solid B string.

Also a bit less expensive, I would consider the Bag End 2x10, built to take just about anything that you can throw at it. ;)

7. i have an Ampeg BXT115HL4 Cabinet (15 Inch with Horn, 600 Watts)

[​IMG]

thing is wonderful!

i get all the highs i need, and the low end is awesome. I keep it under my bed at college...allthough my bed is JACKED up on 3 cinderblocks!! 3 under each post.

I got a sick deal on a used one for like 350. GREAT deals!

8. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    A 2X12 will handle things by itself. Quite nicely as a matter of fact.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Boo-hoo.

Well, you probably should make an effort to try the gear out before you run out and buy what works for someone else similar to you. I would never buy what someone here told me to, their opinions just make a good point of reference. At the end of the day, it's my ears and money on the line.

-Mike