Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10 vs. 4x10....which one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, May 20, 2001.

1. i just got my hartke head yesterday. now i just have to buy a cab for it. the head is 350w 4 ohms.

i play in a hard core and throat ripping emo and whatever else you want to call it band. i think the hartke will let me be heard over my guitarist's 80w marshall.

but should i get a 2x10 cab or a 4x10?
    -the 4x10 has 8 ohms [less watts] and it'll be a pain to lug around, put in my dad's car, take up/down stairs, and to carry around the school.
    -the 2x10 is 4 ohms [using the whole wattage uh..thing from the hartke] but it's obviously half the speaker area. but i think this is much much more portable.

btw, can i use just the 2x10 for a gig? (it'll be used as a monitor) i've never seen anyone gig with just a 2x10....

maybe some of you swr redhead, carvin rc210, metro owners can give me some advice?

thankyou

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If portability isn't a real big problem, I'd go with the 410. I have one of each, and the 410 is going to give you more bottom and an overall fuller sound. On the other hand, I've played small gigs, even outdoors, with the 210, and people were amazed at how much sound I got (including me). So you're probably OK with either one.