2x10 vs 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon223, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Hi all.
    I am a total dufus when it comes to amps.
    So, heres my thing.
    I think I'm gonna get a Behringer Head. Its 300 watts.
    Would there be any reason to get a 4x10 instead of a 2x10 when you're only using 300 watts of power?
    I would rather buy the cheaper, lighter cab to go with the head.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Oh, and also, What would a 1x12 +2x10 rig be like?
    I'm thinking it would be either pretty cool or pretty redundant.
  2. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    A 2x10 is light and more portable and if you can get one with a horn,that would be even better. A 4x10 has it's pros too though. Depends on what kind of places you want to play,etc. A 2x10 and a 1x15 is a full sound also. Like I said,it's up to you. -Luke
  3. Another thing that you need to be aware of, is that you won't be getting the full 300 watts out of your Behringer head unless you match it to speakers of the correct impedence. Most bass heads these days seem to put out their rated output at 4 Ohms, I'm not sure about the Behringer though as I'm not familiar with it. Two 8 ohm cabs will give you a loading of 4 ohms.
  4. yeah, i knew that, thanks...

I was thinking of getting a 1x12 Avatar 8 ohm, for smaller "gigs". And then later i might go for the 2x10 8 ohm to combine with the 1x12. So that should make it 4 ohms.
    But i really want to know what makes a 2x10 different from a 4x10, is it more punch? or more bottom?
    So, if i choose to go w/ the 1x12+2x10, will the 1x12 give me much more bottom than i will already have with the 2x10, or would i be better off getting a 1x15?
  5. i say go for a 1x15 and 2x10 as you will probly get more bass and better low mids.
  6. ?
  7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    2 more 10's. There will usually be less bottom on a 2x10 compared to a 4x10. Still same punch though.
  8. A 4x10 will be a lot louder than a 2 x10 because it will be moving a lot more air, and will probably also be punchier as a consequence. I believe there is also a phenonemon that occurs when you use multiple speakers together, which acts to lower the resonant frequencies of the speakers being used by a measurable amount. It's been a while since I read about it so I can't even remember what it's called now, but what it does is effectively give the speakers better low end bass response than they would otherwise have if used singularly. If this is correct, then a 4x10 would probably have better low bass than a 2x10. A general rule of thumb is that the larger the speaker you are using, the better the low end will be due to the lower resonant frequencies that larger speakers tend to have. 1 x 15 & 2 x 10's usually sound very good together IMO.
  9. I concur with bass maniac, heed his advice. :)
  10. Your idea about a 112 with the 210 would be a good one.I've been using a couple of Avatar CB 112s with my five strings and they do the B string pretty well.I use one at practice and it keeps up with the two guitars and drums.Although we aren't playing real heavy music we still get fairly loud.I also have an Eden 210 XLT and have paired it with one of the 112s at one gig and it sounded sweet.If an Avatar 112 can work with an already deep sounding 210XLT it should add good bottom to the Avatar 210.I also think the CB115 would work for about the same price as the 112 but it wouldn't sound as good by itself for small gigs.
  11. thank you...thats what i wanted to hear.
    Thats why i was reluctant to go for the 15, b/c i want one that i can use by itself better.
    Thanks to all who posted!