2x10 with 1x15 experiences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RickC, Jun 9, 2005.

1. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Please excuse if this has been talked about before; I didn't find much.

What are other's experiences with mixing 2x10 and 1x15 cabs? I've got an EAW 1x15 with an EVM, and a Goliath Jr. I love either of these boxes alone, but when I use them together for when I need to push more air... well, they just don't seem to work that well together. Less than the sum of the parts.

I like the idea of using the cabs together; on paper it seemed like a great idea. I recently did a gig where I ran my Goliath Jr on top of a Harke 4x10; that sound was spectacular. But maybe it's just that the 10's sound better onstage, at close range?

Comments? Other experiences?

2. Have you checked to see if they are in phase?The only 210/115 setup I've had was a SWR SOB 115 with my Eden 210XLT.They worked very well together,the SWR added bottom to the Eden and was still clear.I guess it just depends on the speakers you use,they all sound different.
  3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mine are cool. It helps when they are made to go with one another. If not, its a matter of experimentation. A 2x10 + 1x15 CAN work. You just gotta get the right pieces.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...here's my "bedroom blaster"...

5. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    That's a good suggestion, but yes I did check for speaker phase, hoping that was the problem. It wasn't.

6. huskies90

May 17, 2004
    I use a 210 / 115 set up and I agree there is something weird about them together. I like the tone from 10s alone and I like the tone from a 115 alone but together they seem to almost fight each other on stage.

Then, at one gig, somebody sat in on bass an played my rig while I mingled in the audience and I got to hear the mix. From out there, the sound was perfect. You could hear the punch of the 10s and the rumble of the 15. So, I decided the problem was really just standing too close...
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Berg HT210/HT115 combo is one of the best one-two punches out there. Stupid good!

8. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I had a 210 and 115 setup, but I chucked the 10s because they just didn't get out to the crowd. I use 2 x 115 cabs now, and I think my rig sounds great.
  9. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I use a 210 + 15 rig. I reckon it sounds pretty darn good. They compliment eachother well, and I get a nice sound (And they're only WM's cabs!)

Then again, I love 15" speakers on the whole, and I think the 210 just adds a little more, especially in a band setting. Gives you a less boomy/muddy presence.

Seems strange i'm going to be getting a Schroeder with no 15's in it next... ;)
  10. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    yes, that's exactly my experience. So I'm thinking you're right, the onstage sound is a little dodgey, but the sound in the house is probably fine.

This actually doesn't come up for me too often; 90% of the time I'm going through the PA on a gig anyway, so I just use one cab for stage sound in those instances.

11. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Both of my rigs are a 210/115 configuration, but the cabs are matched. I have the Hartke XL series and the GK SBX series. Both sound pretty good and if I was to buy another rig I would definitely go the 210/115 route again. It works well for me.
  12. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I own two 1x15 cabs (a Mesa Diesel and and SWR workingmans) and sometimes pair one of them up with an Avatar 2x10 pro cab. Ive found that with the SWR 1x15, the Avatar really adds a lot of projection while with the Mesa it is less than incredible.

Overall I like the setup but 2x10s are still heavy as hell.
  13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado

Totally! :D
  14. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Every combination of 210/115 cabs is going to be different. Mismatched cabs are something I wouldnt consider but works well for others. In my case I use matched cabs - Bergantino 210/115 and they were made for each other. Like Tom said stupid good!
  15. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    well, one option I've thought about is getting the "matching" cab for my Goliath Jr, which would be a Son of Bertha 1x15. Anyone ever tried this combination?

16. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, it sure is! :D
  17. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001

Yup, and it rocked.
    I own an SWR350 head and an Goliath Jr.III cab, and wanted to compare the Goliath 4x10 against the 1x15 SOB with my rig to see which performed best. To my ears, the SOB complimented my current rig better. I WANTED to like the 4x10 more too. :meh:
  18. he he Stupid Good, i like. But seriously, i am considering the 210 115 road... just have to find reasonably priced cabs in Oz... :bawl: :crying: :help: :confused: :eek: :( i believe that sums up my gear situation...
  19. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    cool; something else to look into. It would be a nice option, as the SOB is smaller and lighter than the 4x10.

20. I've played a 2x10 & 1x15 rig for quite a while now,
    and I've been salivating over a Schroeder 1210 to
    replace it with. I bi-amped for a LONG time, and
    recently discovered the joys of full-range!

Anyway, I played a gig on Saturday, outdoors, and
    finally had a chance to work on my tone without
    getting yelled at....and was able to get a nice, round,
    solid, punchy sound. I'm still going to get the single
    cab Schroeder, but at least I'm learning to work with
    the rig I've got in the meantime:Carvin 2x10 & Carvin 1x15,
    BBE BMax, and Soundtech PS802.

Have you tried experimenting with the 2x10 on the bottom?
    It can give you some interesting sounds in the right room.