1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2x10 with my 4x10 using my Shuttle 9??? Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dakink, Jan 4, 2012.

1. dakink

dakink

Aug 31, 2009
    Milwaukee area
    I know in general this topic has been discussed many times, so my apologies right up front. I swear I've read through as much as I could find by using the search and reading the stickies, but I'm still a bit confused on what my specific options are based on my setup. Help!

I was married last year and we are trying to sell one of our houses (wanna buy a house???), so I spend time at both places. I leave a few basses at each place but hate lugging my rig back and forth so I am looking to get a 2x10 to leave at one and leaving my 4x10 at the other so I only have to bring the head back and forth. As a bonus, adding a 2x10 would help when playing with the boys at band (and I would really not have to buy another 4x10 if possible).

I use a GB Shuttle 9.0 and a 8 Ohm SWR Golight 4x10 (rated at "800 watts"). I know I can add another 8 Ohm cab to the mix to get the full 900 watts. From doing my homework my Shuttle will split the 900 watts between the cabs, so that poor little 8 Ohm 2x10 will have to handle 450 watts, or 225 watts per speaker, stressing the hell out of it, correct?

So then I read it's best to add a 2x10 that has twice the impedance of the 4x10 so all 6 speakers are getting the same amount of power, right? So that would be a 16 Ohm 2x10 with my 8 Ohm 4x10? Can my Shuttle handle that Ohm load (whatever it is)? Does anyone even make a 16 Ohm 2x10?

Again, I really don't want another 4x10 (cost, portability of two, etc.) and think a 2x10 would be a perfect solution...if I can make it work...

Any ideas? Should I just buy a Golight 2x10 and be gentle on the volume? Thanks very much, guys.

2. dakink

dakink

Aug 31, 2009
    Milwaukee area
    I think my post got lost...

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

3. If you could find a 210 with 8 Ohm speakers in parallel (4 Ohm total impedance) and rewire it in series, you would achieve a 16 Ohm load.

An 8 Ohm and An 16 Ohm in series will net 5.33 Ohms of impedance.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The optimum way to do this, as you say, is to combine an 8ohm 210 with a 4ohm 410 from the same product line. That gives you a 'modular 610' with each driver getting the same amount of power, and your head running at 2.67 ohms (which of course, the Shuttle can't do).

Many combine an 8ohm 210 and 8ohm 410 successfully. The likelihood of damaging the 210 is low. Assuming you put the 210 on top, just listen for distortion and turn down if you hear it.

I wouldn't bother rewiring a 4ohm 210 to 16ohms (i.e., putting the speakers in series). Just get an 8ohm 210 and rock on!

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    The shuttle would handle 8 ohms and 16 ohms together just fine (it would be 5-something ohms, no trouble at all.)

I don't think the manufacturers have caught up with this idea yet, though; you'd likely need to get a 2x10 box and load it yourself with two of the same speakers that your 4x10 has.

6. dakink

dakink

Aug 31, 2009
    Milwaukee area
    Thanks for the responses, guys. Good stuff. I think the 8 Ohm 2x10 sounds like the simple solution (for now) for me. And yeah, maybe some day the manufacturers will come out with a 16 Ohm cab I can use!