1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2X10" (x2) or 2X12" (X1)??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ritchie_Darling, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Ritchie_Darling

Ritchie_Darling Bass @ AZ Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    Geez! Looks like algebra! It's quite simple, really....

I am on the fence about some new cabinetry.

I am trying to decide between a pair of 2X10" or a single 2X12"........

Probably going to buy from Revsound.

Opinions?? EVERYONE??

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, for me a good 2x12 is usually all I ever need. But, a pair of vertically stacked 210's makes for a good set up too.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I have the Revsound 2x12 and like it. Two 12s will put out almost as much as four tens, and be easier to carry. Spring for the lighter wood option - cab will be 38 pounds - can't beat that.

Dave works hard to make you happy.

OP, you can PM me if you have any specific questions on that cab - I'll be happy to help if I can.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  4. Ritchie_Darling

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    Glad to hear that you like the cab. I had the Bergantino 2X12" and it just sounded sterile.

I'll be calling Dave in the morning. I've just gotten the message from him that he has a 2X8" ready to go.

And I want that first. More to come later. :)

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    He works quick. Tell 'em Bulldog says hi.

Give us a report on that cab.

6. Ritchie_Darling

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    Will do! The 2X8" will be great for dining room gigs.

And I will look into the 2X12" a bit later.

All the best!

7. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    A quality 2 x 210 rig has great aspects. Shoot, even a less than quality 2 x 210 has good aspects :) . But, imho, best "bang-for-the-buck" between the 2 options you mentioned is a 212. But a 212 based on the Eminence Kappa Lite 3012HOs (if you want full range drivers, with or without a high frequency/tweeter) or 3012LFs w/dedicated a midrange(s) driver (again, with or without a high frequency/tweeter). This means not the builder you've mentioned. Celestions are the drivers used in those. They're nice indeed, compared to what's used in most commercial boxes. But they aren't the "super" 12s like the mentioned Eminences. Either of these 3012 212s will more than hold their own for everything except the very loudest application (& for those, you almost surely have FOH). In all probability, not a better all-around single cab solution than this. And only a very few as good.

Eminence KappaLite 3012HO speakers - Eminence KappaLite 3012HO 12" neodymium mid-bass speaker. Eminence KappaLite 3012HO lightweight neodymium speakers.

Eminence KappaLite 3012LF speakers - Eminence KappaLite 3012LF 12" neodymium speaker. Eminence KappaLite 3012LF lightweight neodymium speakers.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  8. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I have all of them a 2x12t Genz Benz driven by a shuttle 6.0 a Ibanez Promethian 3110 with an Overton 110 and a Genz Benz Contour 500 2x10 combo. And love them all for their sound and other reasons.
    I don't think you can go wrong which ever you choose.
    Good luck with the purchase. I'll post pictures if you all want to see them.
    BTW I play 5 string.
    thanks
    Duke

9. With out specifics, it is hard to give meaningful feedback. Which 210 and 212? You mention revsound, but I have seen some iteration on those designs, and perhaps drivers as well.

So it would all boil down to the particular cabs, and the implementation there of.

10. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    Can you amp handle 2 ohms? RevSound 2x10 is 4 ohms so the 2x 210 will be 2.

11. Ritchie_Darling

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    Not really looking for specifics. Just opinions on the two 2X10" vs one 2X12" options in general.

I mentioned Revsound as they have the items that I am currently researching. :)

12. Ritchie_Darling

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    Good point!

13. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    So get the 2x12?
    They have a new design which is nice and compact.

14. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Both will work just fine. A 2x12 is obviously more compact and easier to move around. If that's important, I'd choose that.

15. Then with out specifics the only conjecture you have is one has two 10" speakers, and one has two 12" speakers.

16. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004

You're right. Why worry about specifics when vague generalities are available :D.

You owe it to yourself to really do additional research ;).

17. Ritchie_Darling

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    Well, I guess we are done here then.... :whistle:

18. dawind99

dawind99 Commercial User

Mar 30, 2012
    Revsound.net and Revsound on Facebook
    Owner: Revsound

19. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ^^^ ... ? :)

20. dawind99

dawind99 Commercial User

Mar 30, 2012
    Revsound.net and Revsound on Facebook
    Owner: Revsound
    I'm familiar all the Eminence drivers and there are some I like very much. I can say that of all speaker manufacturers, some more than others. I chose the Celestion neo 12s for the voice in a bass guitar cabinet of my design. I can and could have used any driver and indeed tried many drivers including Eminence and found the Celestions the most musical. They are a "super" driver insomuch as they were the vehicle that turns my cabinets into instruments and not just a box that holds a motor. I would not hesitate to use either of the Kappa Lites in a FOH (front of house/PA) cabinet and would prefer them for that application. I did not find bass guitar amplification their strong suit. This is only my opinion.