Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DWBass, Oct 12, 2004.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Anyone just gig with a 2x10 cab? I tried this for the first time this past weekend (I usually use the 2x10 and a 1x15) and it really sounded great although I was concerned I was giving them too much. I was using a 300w Hartke 3000 but since it was only an 8 ohm cab it was getting 180w tops but I had plenty of headroom. My volume was no higher than 4-1/2 or 5. It handled my low B pretty well. I think I may sell my 1x15 or trade her for another 2x10. I think that is the sound I'm looking for. The cones were really jumping though. Is that natural?

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I know people gig with 2x10's but I'd want more behind me. That is just too close to the edge for my taste. Of course this is a real subjective thing and entirely dependant on the specific cab and the overall volume required for your gig. Still, 2x10 and a 1x15 or 2x12 would be more to my taste.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've done plenty of gigs with just a 210 but it all depends on the volume. Yeah the cones do jump, just as long as you're not distorting or overdriving them you should be ok.

4. People generally don't gig with just a 2x10?

Well, I have my 4 ohm Avatar Neo 2x10 coming in soon, and I'll be driving it with a Peavey Mark VIII going 350 watts into 4 ohms.

My playing experience tells me a 2x10 will be fine, but it sounds like maybe it won't be.

At the middle school talent show, I played in a terrible cafetorium to about 300 people without a PA with me playing my 15 inch, 100 watt Crate combo like comfortably maxed out, my guitarist playing with a 1x12, 60 watt Peavey Transtube combo, and the drummer playing some guy's kit acoustic. We were complemented by the guitarist's dad for having an awesome sound. I wished I had more headroom, but the 15 inch combo played I thought really nicely. Maybe this was a one time deal?

I thought that a 2x10 with 350 watts would give me enough volume to play something like that, but more comfortably (as in working the speaker, but not in any possible hurtful manner). Am I wrong? I also thought that in a worse case scenario, I could tilt my amp. My guitarist was playing clean, pretty hard on his amp.

Soooo.... is a 2x10 really that unnatural to gig with? Do you guys think I'll be needing another cab?

Thanks guys and sorry for ramblin'.

5. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I use a 210 for small club gigs. I've noticed that when playing in a "dinner and drinks " type place, the managers are usually ultra-paranoid about overall volume. I've been required to keep my volume down to almost a whisper and I find that the 210 is perfect for that.

6. Using a 2x10 depends on many factors. For me, with PA support it works.

My Yorkville 300watt 8ohm 2x10 cab gets 700watts (roughly, I think) from my bridged SWR SM 900 and it sounds loud and punchy for me and the band. The volume knob is anywhere from 4 -5 out of 10 and I never overdirve the speakers. The guitar players are playing out of 1x12 combos so there's not a lot of stage volume to begin with.

But if there's no PA, I need the room filling bottom of my Yorkville 1x15 cab, it just goes lower without having to touch the EQ or volume control.

My 2cents

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, although I was loud enough and I had really good presence, I think I'm ultimately going to use a 2 2x10 setup (or 4x10 if you will). I really liked how I sounded as opposed to my usual 2x10/1x15 setup. Just so yall know, I'm from the old school. My very first setup for years was a Traynor head & Traynor 2x15 (no horns) so it took me a while to get used to new and smaller setups. I also like the portability of 2x10 cabs as well.

8. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I have a pair of ACME Low-B2's that I use for gigs. I usually run about 700 watts to each. There are times when I bring both to the gig, but that is becoming rarer by the day. I find that in almost any club with a decent PA system a single 2x10 is all I need for my stage volume. I've used a single 2x10 to fill a room of ~150 people with solid bass, but typically if I'm not going to have PA support I'll use both 2x10's. That said, I've never been in a situation where I've had to come close to maxing out the output of the 2-2x10 cabs.

The less I use the second cab, the more I think about getting an AI Focus and leaving my 40lb power amp at home for these gigs.

9. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I run a Behringer 3000T with a Crate 8ohm 4 x 10 right now but will add a 2 x 10 for when I need more volume. 4 tens is plenty loud with this head for anyplace I have played so far. Take into consideration that my guitarists play clean for the most part. Not heavily distorted at all.

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I find myself using a 2X10 almost exclusively when I gig these days. Space is always a premium in the venues we play and I get the least amount of that scarce commodity. My problem is which to use? The Acme B-2 can fill a room with boom, my Mesa PH snarls, and my Goliath Jr. is clean all around. So many choices!

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've used a 2/10 for some gigs for a long time. Eden/Acmes/EAVL210 in that order, worked great! I'm getting a Schroeder 1210 later this week to take the place of the rather heavy EA.........getting old ;)

12. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    i use my avatar 2x10, and it does the job but im gunna add a 2x12 soon!

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If I were you, I'd think about adding a 410. Then you can gig with 2, 4 or 6 tens, your choice.

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you're sold on the tens i agree with munji - i gigged for years with a 210 and 410 mixing and matching as the gigs required. a killer setup.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nah, I have enough cabs. I have the 2x10 and 2 1x15's. The Avatar is 8ohms and the Fender is 4ohms. I'd rather get another 2x10 and get rid of a 1x15. Anyone wanna buy an Avatar B115?!

16. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I used to use an Eden 4x10. Nowadays it's usually an Acme LowB2 or a Schroeder 1210. Rarely do I need more. Part of the reason is that most of my gigs are in Manhattan (small rooms) and part of it might be that I don't want to engage in volume wars anymore. I refuse to let a loud musician (OK, who am I kidding - it's always a guitarist!) dictate the overall level of the band simply because he wants to be very loud. I'd rather have the overall level be about right and the guitar too loud, than to try to improve the balance by cranking up as well. Often all that will do will be to make him turn up again and we'll still be unbalanced - only now we'll be even louder!

I had a teacher, many years ago, who told me:
    When you can't hear yourself to turn down. The other players will notice that they can't hear you and turn down as well. Good musicians will turn themselves down to hear the other players and if they don't then they either don't notice that they can't hear you (they aren't listening) or they notice but don't care (they still aren't listening), either way, they're showing no respect for you or they're not very good musicians, so who the heck wants to play with them anyway?​

That's pretty strong but I think he had a point.

Or maybe I'm just becoming that old, grumpy bass guy! :D

17. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i gig exclusively with my eden 210xst, feeding it only 350 watts all the time, and its been fine for crowds up to 150 people without pa support. i've also done one conference with 300 with no pa support, but most of the time I have a 18" active mackie sub with sm500's supporting me for those larger than 150 crowds. and i usually play in loud rockin-out sessions at church events with 2 acoustics, 2 electrics, loud drummer, keys and vocals.

18. Is that 2x10 an Avatar? 'Cause I've been thinking about getting one to stack on top of my mesa 215, but none of the music stores around here stock avatar, so I have no clue how they actually sound.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yep, it's an Avatar.

20. how do the avatar 210s stand up to say... ...a mesa 210?