Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iplaybass, Apr 11, 2002.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Ok guys, I have searched and searched, but I just can't decide. I have an SWR SM-400S and a Nemesis 2x10. I want a cabinet that can handle at least 400 or 450 watts@4ohms, so that I can run the SWR into it bridged for rehearsals. The Nemesis handles the highs very well, but does not handle the bottom end. Basicly, I need to decide what would be the best cabinet that could be used by itself or with the 2x10, something that will really provide the lows but also have some highs for when I am using it by itself. Price range is <500, but I buy all used gear. Weight needs to be less than 70lbs. I've been looking at the Nemesis 4x10, and several kinds of 2x12's that have tweeters. Let me reiterate that I am not that concerned with the highs, since I can always use the 2x10 with this new mystery cabinet. Overall, it needs to be LOUD... lots of bass response, lots up *thump*. I'm pretty sure I've contradicted myself several times during the course of this rambling post, but if you guys would weigh the options(4x10's, 2x12's, 1x15's) I would again be in your debt.
  2. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA

I'm in a similar boat. I agree that the lows out of just about every 10" I've ever heard don't move me. So, I feel that a 15" or 15's is the way to go for bottom. If you're used to the punch and mid bass of the tens you won't like it alone but you say you are more concerned with bottom.

Try the Bag End S15BD. The BD is the bigger one and should fall into your price range used. I'm also considering the SWR Son of Bertha but SWR's warrany sucks--2 years.

Good luck.
  3. Go for a 2x12...nice wide bottom and less "papery" than a 15". You can also fall back on it as a stand-alone if need be. Punch of the 10's, bottom of a 15. Lots for sale these days...cheap!
  4. Boppingtheory

Aug 27, 2001
    I've recently discovered a new Italian brand which is rapidly capturing the attention of operators and musicians in international trade fairs: it's Mark Bass.

The tone of the cabs is a mix between the best performances of both Eden and SWR, the quality/price ratio is astonishing (for the italian market), the components are high-tech, the weight is inconsistent.

I drive my SWR 350 through a Standard 102H Mark Bass cab playing both doublebass and electric bass and i couldn't be happier.

I don't want to seem chauvinist but if you are a bit curious you can have a look at the site
    www.markamp.com or contact directly Marco De Virgilis at markbass@inwind.it (he's a very kind and expert technician).
  5. Used Eden 210xlt or 212xlt.The 210 is one of the loudest 210s out there,weighs 68lbs.handles 350w.and goes real low.It would work great with your Nemisis.The Eden 212xlt would also be great by itself or with your cab.Bass NW.may be getting a pair of these used pretty soon.I use a pair of 210xlts and they kill on the low end.I looked at getting a 115xlt to go with my first 210xlt but the 210 was louder at the same wattage and goes almost as low.Both these cabs should go for under $500 used and sound great.
  6. Now wait a minute...those D212XLT's are mine! I am trying my darndest to sell them w/o having to go there. I am moving them both for way cheap if anyone is interested...? Terrific for stand-alone; I get compliments on my tone all the time. A few folks out there using them as subs as well for their wide bottom.

7. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond &amp; SuperSensitive strings
    It might not be the popular choice, but I use a Carvin 210 and 15 cab with my SM-400S. Both are 4 ohm cabs and even the 15 is light enough to carry easily on my own. Rated at 600w and under 70 lbs. Sounds okay on its own, too, (if you don't need highs) and can take the full bridged power of the amp. Fairly cheap used (<$300) but a solid cab.

8. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Hey Mad, how much for the Eden 2x12?
  9. I hate to be selling on the forums so maybe Email me if you are interested? Cheap!!