1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2x10s: lack of bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by instigata, Apr 25, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    anyone notice their 2x10 cab not giving them enough bass?

im pretty sure its just my ibanez, though.

i plan on trying a schroeder on saturday. should be cool.

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    My 2x10 is the same way. I'm playing a Yamaha Attitude Plus 4 and it's inherently a little bright and tinny sounding and the Basslines seem to enhance that. But, I have my 15 to round it out.

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    well, i think it really is the bass. and i hate that bass.

cos like. i have heard plenty of bass from say, an 8 10 ampeg stack.

4. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I've done lots of A/B-ing between my Carvin 2x10 and my Schroeder 1212 and there is, of course, a noticeable difference in the amount of bass I get from each. I've done the same with my Carvin and my Avatar 1x12 with similar results. I prefer the 12 inch speaker cab in each comparison but that's just me.

For the record, I have hooked up and run all three of these at once and it sounds HUGE, but the 1212 by itself is everything I need for the gigs I do. I doubt I'll ever gig with all three cabs. (Of course, there's always been PA support on big stages.) Basically, with the 1212 in one hand and the head in my other hand and I'm good to go. I like how every time I see our drummer he tells me how much he likes my little rig.

Which Schroeder are you considering?
    When you demo, keep in mind the comments of so many here on TB; the Schroeders best attribute is it's performance in the context of a live band mix. Personally, I'm very happy with the sound I get in my living room but with the band, it really rips.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Chad

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It depends on the specific cab. My Bergantino HT-210 gets more lows than my EV 215 (I love em both though).

6. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Now where have I heard this before? ... oh sorry ... just thinking out loud.

7. There is a massive difference in bottom end between a 210 and an 810. Both the SPL and the bass extension of cabinets with more drivers will be different - in theory if you take 2, 4, 6 or 8 identical speakers and design the same (or as close as poss) standard enclosures for them, you will get between 2-5 Hz more bottom as you go up in number.

8. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Daffy beat me to it.

Hmmm my Goliath Jr. III puts out a pretty low amount of bass (but lots of mids). But I have it with an EA NL-210 so that gives me the thundering lows I want.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Not ALL 210's lack bottom end. I've heard rave reviews about the ACME 210's having great low end, but they're rather ineffecient. Cab volume plays a part into the low end response of a given cab, too.